any way to save the temporary file WL creates

Is there any way to save the temporary file WL can create when burning a cd ?
Where is it stored ?
Mads

No. Now, you could try a hack:

1. Open the folder where the temp files are created (see Options > Folders).

2. While you burn the CD, quickly do a copy of the file (eg. Copy and Paste to some other folder)

3. Import this file. Since this is a header-less file, you need to use the “Import unknown file” dialog.

hi Philippe,
it works. But the file is 32 float ? - I would think that it should be 16 bit as this is the file being burned to cd ?
Btw - it is not headerless. It has .wav extention and imports fine in WL as 32 bit float (when I analyze it WL says apparent bit is 61…?

it works. But the file is 32 float ?

Could be. I don’t remember every detail.

61? You mean 16?

no… - 61… - Global Analysis/Extra.
I’m just wondering when the conversion to 16 bit takes place but I guess it happens when burning although there is a temporary file. Or maybe the temporary file goes through the master section ?
Mads

I would expect the temp file to be 16-bit but I don’t really know how it all works.

Are you sure that you are not doing any processing after dithering? Even a small gain change after dithering will cause a 16-bit file to become 32-bit float.

No processing. I’m talking about the temp file WL can create and then burn the cd from - to avoid hickups if there are a lot of plugins.

Right, I understand the file you are talking about. I wanted to see if you happened to be doing any processing after your dither like a small gain change on the master fader, or anything else that would cause the file to be 32-bit float.

I’m not entirely sure what the burning process is like though so maybe that temp file has yet to hit the dithering stage. Do you dither in the special dithering slot or somewhere else?

I’m always dithering as the last insert on the montage master section with absolutely no other processing following it.

If the point of the temp file is to be fully processed and ready for CD burning, you would think it would be 16-bit already but again, I don’t know the behind the scenes details of what goes on.

We’re talking about the file that WL generates on the way to sending it to the CD writer. It is by definition 16-bit, because it’s exactly the same as would have been sent to the writer otherwise…

That’s what I would think but the original poster is saying that it’s a 32-bit file for some reason which would be surprising to me.

This makes me wonder if the dithering isn’t being properly done (or some changes are happening after dither somewhere in the master section).

This makes me wonder if the dithering isn’t being properly done (or some changes are happening after dither somewhere in the master section).

Don’t worry, dithering has nothing to see with the bit format in the file.