Anyone Else Having Trouble With VST Instruments Suddenly Losing Audio?

Frequently, when working on a project, one of my instrument tracks will just stop playing audio. It’s been doing this since version 7, I think. But it seems to be much worse in version 9.5. This is one of the reasons I would never use Cubase professionally, though I still prefer it for composing and arranging at home.

Can you imagine getting a call from the producer, days later, when he suddenly realizes something’s missing. Some obscure part like a tambourine in the chorus. It’s easy not to notice something missing.

I know that people have reported this issue for years. I’ve just kind of been tolerating it. The fix is easy enough: Save track preset, create new track from that preset, drag midi part to new track, match levels and sends, voila. For years.

What isn’t easy though is having a project with 200 tracks and having to constantly worry that one of them hasn’t suddenly gone silent.

So with Cubase 10 approaching, I’m starting to think this may be the time to draw the line. Either fix this issue, or I become a Reaper user which, I might add, is becoming increasingly appealing.

This happens in render? or working on? I never experienced something like the described in a render, however for a moments yes I have suddenly loses of sound but I think is related to the CPU/memory usage when the blue bar peaks, with 200 tracks doesn’t surprises me… I have this kind of issues with this quantity of tracks … so is expected… (in my case) not Cubase fault, its computer specs…

It happens under normal operation, but of course, it also affects the render.

On your second point, I never said it happens with 200 tracks. I said that with 200 tracks, it makes it easy to not notice when it happens.

In fact, it happens regardless of the track count.

I know that people have reported this issue for years. I’ve just kind of been tolerating it. The fix is easy enough: Save track preset, create new track from that preset, drag midi part to new track, match levels and sends, voila. For years.

could you share a thread of other users experiencing this issue? because I never experienced in a render…

I think you need to list your computer specs -6db.

Yeah, I would have except this issue has survived three different computers, two different operating systems, and several audio interfaces including RME, Focusrite, Avid, and Presonus.

All three computers have had I7 processors. The mobos have been Intel, Asus, and MSI. One common denominator between all three is my old Dell optical mouse. Maybe its the culprit. :astonished:

I have this problem as well. Annoying when it crops up. So far, mostly been with Play, and every time I see it happening I notice I accidentally chose the VST 3 version of the plugin. Seems, anecdotally, to happen less with VST 2…

This have some sense… Ive experienced that but only running the project not on render,