Anyone got time Allignment (vocalign style) to work?

Same here, the allignment not working as expected. I’m waiting for ARA2 support for my Revoice Pro =)

Only tried it briefly, and it worked well.
The same goes for the new hitpoint detection.
But if the new hitpoint detection algorithm somehow is broken ( as some claim) it probably would also make alignment breake.
Unless it is because some of you are testing on an old project with old hitpoint detection already baked in ?
Could be a red herring, I have not had the time to test.

That could be a possible reason. For me it’s working pretty well >>> automatic creation of hitpoints = off (all those extra lines are too nervous to look at). So on using audio align, fresh hitpoints are created.

Used the function a little more after my first tests and while it doesn’t deliver perfect results all of the time, it basically works/reduces manual edit time significantly.

Hmm…

I guess I was just expecting way more after watching Greg Ondo’s video demo of this ‘new’ feature. I remember it not being that great when it was first introduced in Nunedo - so thought this time, significant improvements had been made…

For further info, my tests were in new C10 projects, with (original/source) material that had not been edited before. I’ve tried vocals only; a mix of female and male in the same chorus - or, the males only/females only etc. I’ve tried 44.1Khz 16bit and 48Khz 24bit mono files only.

What I haven’t been able to try, is any material of the same person singing all the parts - like in Greg’s video.

I agree about the Hitpoint detection algos being coupled to what’s being employed here; and apart from some earlier ‘success’ with that, have since decided it was maybe more down to luck. Other audio I’ve tried has, as others have found, been rather (sorry) hit-and-miss.!

There’s just no reliable consistency.

Thanks - and, I will take another look at the Manual on this too

The midi overlay is down the left side.

I got it today, also my main reason for the update. Also disapointed. Only when the vocals are pretty close it works and not even then it works completely:(

Indeed. Available in the VariAudio tab only…

And more illustration of how far we’ve diverged from the threads topic. Yes, we’re all starting with the new Audio Alignment tool; but I see plenty of excursions throughout from folk, via workarounds/other tools, in trying to get the results we thought that tool would achieve itself, first time…!

Was expecting better of it, that’s all.

But hey, I know I’m a bit of a cheapskate - if I really needed this ability to speed the workflow, I would have had to have bit the bullet, saved up and bought ReVoice/VocAlign Pro by now… :mrgreen:

Just tested with a stack of vocals - it worked very well. I even cut two of the 5 dubs in pieces and slipped it manually out of time which was fixed to perfection. Guess it depends on the nature of the source. In this case the vocals were already pretty spot on. If the timing is all over the place to start with I guess it won’t as well. Just like variaudio has a hard time fixing completely out of tune vocals but works very well on ok pitched stuff.

Different vocalists, or the same person overdubbing them her/himself…?

I have tried it for a voice over in a YouTube vlog. Well, after some hard work, it worked somewhat preferably.

There were lots of mismatch and artifacts in the beginning, but if you cut the audio events, both reference and target, into smaller pieces along the way, it works better with less to no audible artifacts as I have heard.

And yes, sometimes even when the target and reference is very relatively tight, it messes up.

So, I would say at this point of release and practical usage, the feature needs to be improved much further to be utilized by professionals; at least, to compete with a 400$ plug-in.

I hope that better algorithms will come soon.

Works ok on starts of the words / notes, but not all endings of the notes are in sync…
Still using Revoice Pro

Same vocalist and the takes were pretty in the pocket to start with.

Ah.! Ok, thanks - more food for thought.

BIG BIG letdown. I already own Revoice Pro 4, and was hoping Cubase’s Alignment process would be quicker and seamless, and it was, but, it was poor quality for the words that did align, and unusable for the rest. I immediately tried the same tasks in Revoice, and it worked fine. Unfortunately, using Revoice requires several steps that slow the creative momentum, but hopefully, Steinberg will fix their alignment tool

…and the coming ARA integration will really help with Revoice Pro if it doesn’t.

I did a few tests with vocals (Same person), but always the alignment after processing is worse then before.
It is not working or i don’t know how to make it work.

In my experience I tried it with guitar and it tightened up the slightly out bits but then blew apart the bits that were already reasonably tight.
Does it matter what your quantise setting is ?
It is a bit of a magical feature so I guess it just needs perfect conditions to work.

This feature was the main reason i upgraded to 10… and got slapped in the face

Have used it a few hours today, works for me.
It fails on larger audio segments, but cutting it up en smaller pieces works very well.
There is always room for improvement, but it suits my needs.
I used to make a groove quantize from the source audio and apply to the destination audio, just to save me some editing time.
This new feature does that job a lot better, and I have to spend even less time editing.
But I guess it has a lot to do with the expectations, I never expected it to perform as well as a dedicated program that almost cost the same as Cubase pro 10.