Anyone know a plug that can pan the Mid signal to Sides?

HI - I’m looking for a plug that will take the Mid signal, and pan it to the Sides, does anyone know of one (small stand-alone, rather than part of a huge package of other functions)?

My Voxengo MSED almost does the trick - there is a “Mid Pan” dial, but I have to choose to pan it to either one side or the other - not both.

If not, any ideas how I might be able to do that? I was thinking of possibly doubling the audio track, put a MSED plug in each and pan the mid Left in one, and Right in the other. Then somehow send them to a group to get them back together again. Or something like that … much prefer to do it in one plug if possible!

Thanks for anything you may have heard of -

Hey, thanks for that Sonic.

I CTRL-F’d both manuals for the word “pan”, didn’t see what I was looking for pop up. The v3 is more than I want to buy anyway, v2 maybe.

Has the Plugin-alliance vs. Cubase malfunction been sorted out? As of a few weeks ago, it was still messing with Cubase systems pretty badly.

Thanks for the tips, though, much appreciated!

Any other ideas, anyone? (I’m looking at the Melda products now as well).

Thanks!

Curve EQ?

Cableguys Pan shaper

MID signal is basically a same mono signal that is coming from both R and L channels. In order to turn it into a SIDE signal you need to differentiate L and R signal of the MID signal. You can do it by inverting phase on one channel, by delaying one channel, by eqing one channel or by using different fx settings on the channels or by using some sort of stereo fx like reverb or chorus.

Panning won’t help with this.
Panning MID signal to R and L channels will take you back to where you started - the same mono signal will be coming from both L and R channels.

Try using MonoToStereo Cubase plugin on just the MID signal.

cant you just press mono on curve EQ and then pan it?

or select side and then turn up bass-mid section?

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Yes, in the sense that I don’t want to decrease the volume of the piano mid frequencies, just push them aside, I don’t want to duck them. I want them to have the same volume, just be pushed to the side a bit.

In the meantime I think I came up with an idea, maybe too complex to be worth it, but would you please critique it?

1. After determining the frequency range of the stereo piano’s Mid signal (using a spectogram), set up a 2-band multiband comp with the crossover at that frequency.

2. With the comp set to not compress at all, route the lower band to the Master stereo output at L10, and the upper band to R10 (for example).

In theory would this do the trick? No frequencies are attenuated, but room has been made for the vocals to be a bit more alone in the center.

Thanks for any more thoughts!

Use MSED to increase the volume of the SIDE signal by, let’s say, 3db, and decrease the MID signal by 3db as well.

You don’t make a sound less clashing by panning the MID signal around, but by making the SIDE signal more apparent. You can do this by making the side signal louder, mid signal quieter, or by doing both. It’s all relative. Correct the overall volume afterwards if needed.

You can try doing this with Curve EQ to just the clashing frequencies.

Report back.

This is exactly what I’m doing now - using MSED to drop the Mid piano by 2dB (not increasing the Side by 2dB, it sounds OK without doing that). So, yay.

But I also recognize that after doing so I am hearing less volume of the piano frequencies that are in the mid signal. That is an added processing that I didn’t aim to get. I’d like to reposition the Mid piano, based on frequency content, not attenuate it.

Ideally I think I’d like to make a tiny little hole in the Mid piano signal (maybe from L5 to R5) for the voice to sit. The info from the hole wouldn’t be erased or attenuated though, just pushed a little left (for lower piano frequencies) and a little right (for higher frequencies).

I’m not trying necessarily to make it less clashing, but just to reposition some of the piano Mid signal so there is less there to distract from the voice. Though maybe we are saying the same thing … !

Now that is something I hadn’t thought of. I’ll take a look at that. If what you’re saying is that I can pan the Mid piano L vs R, based on the frequency of the signal, then perhaps I just need to look at the frequency content of the Mid piano signal, decide on a cutoff, then it’s off the races. As an example, perhaps everything from 260 Hz (middle C) on down panned to L5, and everything higher than 260 Hz panned R5 (assuming middle C is near the middle frequency of the piano Mid signal)?

I’ll take a look at that, thank you!