‘Zones’ in the mixer.
It works as advertised but I can’t seem to find any advantage
to using it.

Anybody find a way???
If so, how does it help you?

TIA
{‘-’}

I always position the main mix fully right, like it was in C<7

would be cool to extend the Zones Tab, to support any number of zones, arrangeable left/right, with visibility flag like in the Visibility Tab…

so much potential here…

I anchor my master channel to the right side. I think there’s some applications where it would be handy especially when track are on opposite side of the project from each other…You want to tweak the core rhythm section anchor the drums and scroll to the other rhythm instruments so they’re side by side with the drums make your tweaks. You could use the visibility function for this but I’m thinking it could be quicker to temporarily do a zone.

Thanks for the info guys,
I’ll give the right side a try.

Meanwhile I’m still workin ’ at it.

{‘-’}

yeah, it’s weird to have an entire feature just to get the main over where should be.

I’m not sure what else good it is if you can’t have multipe zones. The Visibility Views are more interesting. Hopefully they work on those and let us save viz lists to click on.

usually i anchor outputs fx and groups to the right
and anchor inputs to left and if i extensively work in particular channels i anchor them to the left too, so its always there.

I actually use the zones a lot.

Aloha S,

Other than the ones posted here, would you share some
examples of how you apply this feature?

TIA (thanks in advance)
{‘-’}

For example: when mixing, I like to have a couple of group channels set up as sum channels before the stereo out. I usually route all vocals + backing vocals (all tracks and groups + respective sends) to such a sum channel, the whole playback (again, all tracks and groups + respective sends) to another one and all instrumental solos (channels, groups + respective sends) to a third one. This way I can adjust volume, dynamics and eqs of vocals, playback and solo stuff as separate blocks before routing them to the stereo out (example would be to adjust colour of the overall playback to the colour of the overall vox, or to adjust overall vox levels in the chorus without changing the relative voice levels).
For this purpose, in Cubase 7 I set up 3 or 4 group channels and name them SUM A, SUM B etc. and colour them the same colour as the stereo out. The zones feature allows me to place these SUM A etc. channels together with the stereo out on the very right side of the mixer. This gives me an optical view that reflects the routing situation, even if I create new group channels afterwards which otherwise would move the SUM A etc. channels to the middle of the mixer. Resuming: I can make a second, higher level of group channels and keep them tidy and together and separated from the other, lower level group channels.

Another example: When recording audio I like to have all inputs on the left side of the mixer, followed by the audio channels that are being recorded. For this purpose, I have a mixer preset for recording audio with all the inputs glued to the left side. This way I can scroll through the audio channels without losing sight of the inputs.

Another one: When mixing or mastering, I often include 2 or 3 commercial reference tracks into the project as audio tracks. One of my mixer views keeps them tidy together and always visible on the left side and this allows me to quickly switch between one of these tracks and my own mix without having to scroll or search the reference tracks.

Edit: While the SUM channels A, B and C in the first example are routed to SUM channel D, the reference tracks in the last example are routed directly to stereo out. This way I can use inserts on SUM D that will affect the complete mix, if needed, without interfering with the reference tracks.

Edit 2: In the arrange window, it is possible to move the SUM channels from the group folder to a new folder called e.g. SUMS. When opening the zones window in the mixer, they will now appear under a SUMS section.

Cheers.

Excellent and very progressive usage of the ‘Zones’ function
and thank you sooo much for that report.

Considering that C7 has just been released, you have really gotten to understand
and use this function very quickly. WOW!

I will try several of these approaches in my work flo
and see if any work for me.

Sending much Aloha.
{‘-’}

Thanks. Let me know if it suits your working style, or perhaps you can come up with some kewl modifications.