Apparent Latency Problem

I am about to lose my mind. I’ve been recording a song using Cubase Studio 5 and everything has been working perfectly. Now that I’m 95% complete with the recording, I begin to get latency issues. It’s so bad, there is no way I can complete the project. :imp:

I have tried every fix possible, including decreasing buffer size and increasing Disc Preload. My current latency is:

Input: 3.854
Output: 5.708

Buffer size: 128

I’m using a Motu UltraLite Mk3 with the latest Motu ASIO (updated yesterday).
Windows XP 32bit, Intel dual core, 2gb ram.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to define latency. Do you mean crackling, timing issues, what?

Thanks for the reply. :slight_smile:

Yes, it’s a timing issue. When I record audio or midi there is suddenly a large delay in what I’m hearing through my headphones. When I’ve adjusted the buffer size the delay decreases but it’s still too much for me to be able to monitor and record while listening to the rest of the project. It seems to me this is a “user error” issue but I’m stumped.

The reported latency of 9.55ms is slightly high but shouldn’t be show stopping.

You may well find the overall latency is much higher than that though if you have some plugins inserted, especially if they are chained on an insert, i.e plugin insert 1, plugin insert 2… plugin insert X as the processing delay of each plugin will be added together to produce an overall delay and Cubase will compensate for that delay through it’s internal plugin delay compensation.

Try switching on “Constrain Plugin Delay Compensation” and see if that helps.

Thanks for that tip. However, I think my problem was that I had the mastering plugin Ozone 5 running on the master channel strip and I believe that was causing the delay. I turned it off and the delay seems to be gone. Still ~ I had no idea what “Constrain Plugin Delay Compensation” was so, thank you!

Thats what I was talking about, a plugin or chained plugins causing extra delay.

Yep, it makes sense now. Thanks again for your help. :mrgreen: