Apple AirPods and Cubase Pro

How can i use Apple AirPods when working in Cubase Pro 9.5?

Unfortunately Steinberg is behind other DAWs when it come to Bluetooth audio or midi.
They simply don’t work with Cubase… And they don’t communicate when they will fix it.

Yes, it would be nice to have it. I often mix, listening through EarPods, as one monitor option, so AirPods are a natural next step. Many people - me included - listen to music through EarPods and AirPods and that makes them a good and necessary reference.

I read somewhere that there’s a lot of latency. Wouldn’t be a problem for mixing but probably for tracking. Korg made a Windows driver for their Bluetooth Korg Microkey Air and it works great, so it’s doable…

Just get an external Bluetooth adapter and plug your audio outputs into it.

Bump for this request, would be great for a mixing reference since they are so common

Bump for this request, would be great for a mixing reference since they are so common, at least since Logic is working with AirPods flawlessly.

+1

+1 gentle reminder that we still need compatibility between airpods and cubase … how hard can it be. to fix this? steinberg should not be ignoring their loyal customers like this …

4 Likes

hey guys, i know this is an old thread but i came here a couple of times when searching for a solution for this. I finally found one. If you are on mac its possible to set up an aggregate device which will fix this, im currently mixing some good old emo with my airpods! check this link for info on how to solve it Create an Aggregate Device to combine multiple audio devices – Apple Support (UK)

1 Like

+1 has this been fixed yet? Would be great to use Airpods with cubase via windows… Ta x

AirPods with Cubase on Windows? Apple needs to make the AirPods more compatible with non-Apple devices first. I use my AirPod 3s every day at work with my Surface, I’m lucky if I can make it to lunch without them randomly stopping to work 5 times and me missing phone calls because they say they’re connected but not outputting audio anymore. Aside from my actual work, half my day is spent clicking on the volume control in the taskbar to make sure they’re still working properly.

Good luck getting them to be stable in something like Cubase.

I’m using AirPods with Cubase 12 on a MacBook Pro (M1) - there’s a trick to it:

• Put in your AirPods (i.e., in your ears)
  • Run Cubase (or quit and re-run it). Cubase should pop up a dialog stating that it has detected new audio interfaces.
  • Select your AirPods.

I haven’t found a way (yet) to select AirPods after Cubase is already running. It only prompts me for the audio interfaces on initial launch.

I should note that I followed @andreasHolmstedt 's technique first so that the AirPods showed up:

• Put in your AirPods and connect them to your Mac.
  • Open the “Audio MIDI Setup” app.
  • Choose Window > Show Audio Devices.
  • On the bottom of the left panel, click the “+” and select “Create Aggregate Device”.
  • You’ll see a new entry in the left sidebar named “Aggregate Device”. On the right, click the checkboxes to the left of your AirPods (in the “Use” column). I don’t know if “Drift Correction” checkbox is useful or not. I left it at its default setting. I also checked both entries for my AirPods - one is the input (microphone), one is the output).
  • Click on “Aggregate Device” on the left to rename it something useful like “AirPods Aggregate”.

Then:

• Quit Cubase if it’s running.
  • Run Cubase. If you’re lucky, it’ll pop up the “Audio Driver Setup” dialog saying that it detected a new audio interface, and you’ll see your “AirPods Aggregate” in the list. Click the radio button to select it.
  • If Cubase opened without giving you a chance to select your aggregate device, try going (in Cubase) to Studio > Studio Setup… > Control Panel and see if your “AirPods Aggregate” shows up there. If not, you may need to try tricking Cubase into showing it to you, e.g. by taking your AirPods out of your ears, quitting, re-running, and quitting (again) Cubase to make it register that there are no AirPods, then putting them back in your ears and running Cubase again. I’m pretty new to Cubase, so if you know how to make Cubase pop up the dialog that asks for the audio interface without all the quitting/re-running, please let me/us know. :slight_smile:

I have had issues with Cubase not recognizing or prompting for my “AirPods Aggregate” when running it again after my initial setup. I’ve started using some plug-in headphones instead of my AirPods (mainly because the wired headphones sound better). The wired setup works reliably - just go to Studio > Studio Setup… > Control Panel and check “External Headphones” in both the Input and Output columns near the bottom of the window or Cubase will play out of the Mac speakers.

1 Like