Apple urges Win. users to remove Quicktime (affects Cubase)

Should we be concerned with this or no?

I want to post this because I believe Cubase needs QuickTime to function. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Apple is ending QuickTime support for Windows, and two advisories have been issued. Here’s an except from the article:

First, Apple is deprecating QuickTime for Microsoft Windows. They will no longer be issuing security updates for the product on the Windows Platform and recommend users uninstall it. Note that this does not apply to QuickTime on Mac OSX.

Second, our Zero Day Initiative has just released two advisories ZDI-16-241 and ZDI-16-242 detailing two new, critical vulnerabilities affecting QuickTime for Windows. These advisories are being released in accordance with the Zero Day Initiative’s Disclosure Policy for when a vendor does not issue a security patch for a disclosed vulnerability. And because Apple is no longer providing security updates for QuickTime on Windows, these vulnerabilities are never going to be patched.

Steinberg will be ditching QT , hopefully soon !

Here is their official statement : http://www.steinberg.net/en/newsandevents/news/newsdetail/article/quicktime-issue-on-windows-pcs-3683.html

Cubase will work fine without QuickTime as long as you don’t work with video.

I uninstalled QT (even found some old Flash stuff and uninstalled) and Cubase works just fine.

Finally…
Apple is a bad company for customers.
Steinberg come on with new technology without deprecable situation like this

I do work with video, so I’m hoping that Steinberg will release their update to bypass QT pretty soon. (Whatever that means in their time-frame).

It should be noted though that if you’re using Chrome, the QuickTime plugin has been disabled by default for a long time now. I think the plugin is the only way for exploits on web pages to do anything (anyone with other information?), so I feel pretty safe keeping QT for the time being.

I’m curious, does this QT issue affect other DAWs running on Windows that can play videos ? i.e. Presonus Studio One Pro ? Ableton Live ? Sonar ? …etc. Or is it unique to Cubase ? Have other DAW developers issued a similar statement to the one Steinberg just posted on their website regarding QT on Windows ?

It’s not about the DAW being able to play QT, it’s about the QT player specifically being vulnerable. So as far as I understand it if you a) don’t visit dangerous websites or open dangerous files, or b) don’t even have QT player installed, then you shouldn’t have a problem.

Hi Lydiot,

Well, I don’t use my DAW-PC for browsing the web. I only visit music related company websites to download updates,authorize new software. …etc. So, I guess I should be ok to keep it online, and if I use a QT video to write music to in Cubase, then this should not affect or have any negative aspects as far as the security of my DAW-PC (Is that correct) ?

I could also disable the Internet on my PC-DAW, and then enable it when I need to update, and/or download software from music software companies. (I think this should keep my DAW-PC pretty safe).

Thanks,
Muziksculp