Apply button disabled in tranpose dialog

This happens from time to time, and I don’t understand why.

Once you have entered the value you want in the pull-down, try clicking away from that field and see if that does not clear the Apply button for you.

No. It seems to have something to do with the selected music, but I’m not sure what.

It means that the transposition you have chosen in the dialog cannot be applied to the selected music, because it would produce an invalid pitch.

What constitutes and invalid pitch? The selection of music starts in Cminor, then changes key to C#minor. I wanted it all up a half step. The only way I could transpose the music was to do it in two steps, first the Cminor portion, then the C#minor portion.

Depending on the interval you chose, that’s not surprising. If you wanted to go from C minor to C# minor and C# minor to D minor, those are two different intervals: C minor to C sharp minor is transposing up by an augmented unison, while going from C# minor to D minor is transposing up by a minor second. The difference is that in the first case you want to keep the same note name, so you’re transposing by a unison of some flavour, and in the second you want to move up to the next note name, so you’re transposing by a second of some flavour.

That can be hugely inconvenient if I have music that changes keys a lot. If I want the whole thing transposed, I’d have to go section by section instead of just transposing the whole lot.

Try using Transpose by: Number of Divisions instead. I may be wrong, but I think this ignores keys.

Unfortunately Dorico can’t guess what interval you really mean to transpose by in order to obtain the key you actually have in mind, so it is up to you to tell Dorico what to do. If you transpose by number of divisions, you run the risk of getting some key choices that you won’t want and you’ll have to re-transpose those parts anyway.

The solution I use each time I have this problem is to select chunks of the score (with system track) and transpose them one by one.

1 Like

I’d prefer an option where the software just does the entire transposition, selecting keys that are the most common in each case. In this example, it’s possible that I want C#minor transposed to C##minor, but 99 times out of 100 I’ll want Dminor and the software should just do that.

I tried that, but in this case the only thing I was allowed to entire was zero or -1. I couldn’t enter +1, which was what I wanted.

I understand your point. I’m just telling you how you’ll need to do it now and not waste any time :wink:

It seems that what we’ve discussed in this thread does not draw a complete picture of how the transposition dialog works. It turns out I can do what I wanted, but it’s not at all obvious. When I open the transpose dialog, as previously stated, it will not let me transpose up a half step. However, if I tell it to transpose up a whole step (without actually doing the transposition), then switch to “divisions”, it does offer up a half step as an option and it performs as expected.

This is actually a discussion that has already been written in great lengths, so I assume the team knows there’s some improvement room in this topic. Dorico is very precise and an augmented unison (to transpose from c to c#) is different from a minor second up (from c to db) even though, for a musician, the difference is scarce. This is something the user (still) has to deal with — I understand your concern, and Daniel surely does :wink:

1 Like

I have the same problem here. I just want to tranpose a score from a half step up, this does not seem possible. I only get offered a major second and a “diatonic” second. thats the same thing in my case. When trying to get to the divisions, I only get offered 2/12. After frustrating 60 minutes of failing I exported the whole thing, tranposed in musescore and imported back :frowning:
The score is very long and does have a lot of keychanges in it, so going from bar to bar does not make any sense.

Not one bar at a time, but one key area (or a few) at a time. The key changes are why you can’t transpose the whole thing at once by “a half step”. Dorico balks because some parts need to go up a minor 2nd, other parts an augmented unison, and they’re not the same.

This is elementary in midi, which knows nothing of enharmonics. But notation is tonal, and requires choices. Should it be F♯ major or G♭ major? etc.

No, it isn’t. ‘Diatonic’ leaves music in the same key and moves the notes by step, which can end up being major or minor or augmented 2nds. Specifying a major 2nd changes the key, moving all notes by the same interval.

Of course. Nevertheless not very convenient.

The key is to choose the Interval first and then the “quality” of interval. (The order in which the boxes appear is a more than a little misleading.)

transpose

2 Likes