ARA - Extract midi from Melodyne and chord track integration

I am wondering if we will see this functionality anytime soon.

Studio One has had the extract midi functionality for some time and it is much easier than saving out out of Melodyne and importing the file back into your project.

I would also like to see the chord track integration added since it is one of the new features of ARA 2.

If either of these are already available and I missed it, please let me know.

+1.

Quinn3k3 hello,
Well, if you need to extract just melody to MIDI, then you can use VariAudio. It works great.
(I suppose the Revoice engine was, partly, integrated into Cubase Pro 10?!)
Unfortunately VariAudio isn’t able to detect and extract chords. So, if you need to transfer chords
form audio to MIDI, surely Melodyne is needed.

Best regards,
Thurisaz

Thanks Thurisaz. Yes, I am looking for the ARA 2 protocol to be fully implemented.

As you mentioned, VariAudio can’t handle polyphonic material in the way that Melodyne does.

The initial implementation of ARA 2 has been nice to use, but there are features that they left out that would only make it that much better.

++11

Quinn3k3 hello,
Probably they will improve the ARA usability in the future. After all Cubase still has an ancient code which has to be changed, also they had many problems with the implementation of ARA.
Cubase needs so many innovations and improvements…
Probably one day we’ll get all the needed things

We already have the SpectraLayers 6, which is great tool. We also need Smart Tool and much better Notation and Expressions…

Best regards,
Thurisaz

Hi Thurisaz,

I agree that this should improve over time. Presonus had a huge head start on the ARA implementation since they have been working with Celemony since this protocol was created. Hopefully, Steinberg will fill in some of the gaps soon.

I also agree with you on Spectralayers 6. I just purchased it when the launch promo began so I am still finding my way with using it, but it seems like it will be useful in a variety of ways.

I hope Steinberg brings the code up to date and brings some new features you mentioned, but for me personally, my biggest request is that they eliminate the audio dropouts and integrate a gap-less playback engine that many other DAWs already have.

Hi Quinn3k3,
About the audio dropouts… they could be caused by various things - communication between the DAW and the audio interface, or CPU, or drive loading, or incompatibility between ASIO Guard and some plugins…
Personally I don’t have such problem on my system.
You could try, if you already haven’t, to investigate the mentioned above possibilities.
I don’t know what interface do you use but try with some approved as industry standard, like RME, Universal Audio…
I hope this information could be helpful for you to find a solution to your problem! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz

Hi Thurisaz,

So just to clarify, you do not get an interruption in you audio when adding VSTs or VSTis during playback. This has been an issue for many users for years now. If you don’t have this issue then I am sure many users would love to know the specs on your OS, computer and interface.

There is a thread on the issue here:

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=878844#p878844

Thanks again,
Quinn

Quinn hi,
Yes, you are right about the dropouts when adding VST Instruments, or Audio Tracks on fly. I didn’t get them because I have never
added tracks during the playback. I work in this way since my first steps in the area of virtual music, long time ago.
I also work with Overture, by Sonic Scores as main score editor and there isn’t possible to add staffs, or do any editing during the playback.
My personal logic is first to add the instrument / track, to do the needed settings for it and then to start the recording / playback (actually
this logic is used in the traditional scoring. You can’t write notes for an instrument if there is no staff for it. Or if you would like to add another
instrument, you must stop writing for others and go to the beginning and add new staff
).
Adding them on fly is far from any logic, but this is just my opinion. :slight_smile:

I wish you success! :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Thurisaz

Hi Thurisaz,

Thanks for confirming this. When you said that you had no dropouts on your system, I thought you may have found the perfect setup for Cubase. As a long time user of Cubase I had become accustomed to the dropouts, but when you use other DAWs and you can load things without any dropout, this behavior becomes harder to ignore. Personally, I am not a composer and produce and record mainly electronic music (pop, r&b and hip-hop) and singer-songwriter stuff (vocals & guitar) so my workflow probably differs quite a bit from yours. I am not not writing scores and using notation like you are. My workflow is a lot less structured and involves a trial and error (throw some things against the wall and see what sticks) approach. A start stop start again workflow would be a total vibe killer for me, but I can see why gap-less playback wouldn’t be a huge priority for you.

Best of luck to you also and thanks again for your suggestions!

Quinn