ARA2 No sound in 64bit processing

…When offset by a massive amount of gain. Chris says as much a few seconds after the jump-in point you linked to. He’s demonstrating his dither and massively exagerating the gain. If plugins sounded like that in normal use, yeah, that’d be a HUGE problem.

If someone can point to a practical, real-world example, of 32-bit quantization errors being audible in any kind of typical use-case (not when demoing the effect of a dither for example), I’d seriously love to hear it. Again, I’m not saying there’s no difference, or that 64-bit processing isn’t more accurate, nor am I saying “it’s fine that 64-bit processing doesn’t work with Melodyne.” What I’m merely suggesting is this: I’ve never heard of a situation where quantization noise from 32-bit float is going to be audible in a mix. Will that noise level ever exceed the SNR of your converter? And even if yes, what about the SNR of your output chain? What about the noise floor of the mic pre/DI or any external processing on an input chain you may have used to track the audio (if not using virtual instruments)? There’s noise being introduced at every step of the process that’s much higher in level than the quantization noise. So is using 32-bit as a workaround an acceptable workaround? It is for me. Should Steinberg fix it? Yes, of course. Will they? Yes.

You guys ever use a hardware 1176? Talk about audible noise floor! And yet, there have been multiple used on just about every record and the world keeps spinning. But seriously, LN (Low Noise) my @$$! :laughing:

They are of the SAME ilk my man. Bugfest releases and delays until you pay. I use both so I know well
The white knight effect is strong with these two.

Just be thankful you got something is the mantra. StudioOnes ARA implementation is far beyond Steinbergs. It will be two years and hundreds more before it catches up IMO

I didn’t get a chance to test yet… Can we use Melodyne to set the tempo track now, or no?

In what ways was it lacking? Once I switched to 32-bit, it seemed totally usable. What did you consider superior in S1’s implementation?

And yeah, both companies frustrate me in terms of their release cycles. They both act like IBM. I’m originally a refugee from Image-Line, so I’m used to companies being a bit more responsive.