Are preferences ported over to C9 automatically?

Hi -

Does anyone know for certain - when updating from Cubase 7.5.40, is the Preference file grabbed by Cubase 8.5? And then in turn, does Cubase 9 do the same when updating from Cubase 8.5 (I did the grace period from 7.5.40 to 8.5 to 9.5)?

Another question I guess would be, if I were to copy the Cubase 7.5.40 preference file and use it to replace the one in Cubase 9, would that be a good idea, or even necessary?

Thank you!

Mine was :slight_smile:

Great to know, thanks!

Is this listed in the Steinberg website anywhere?

My preferences have never been copied over with any upgrade in the last few years. No idea why. :confused:

Ditto. I always copy the XML files. (Make backups first!)

I think I recall seeing that this occurs when you check the box during installation to install it for all users. I leave it unchecked (the default) and have always had them copied.

Negatory, good buddy. I’ve done it both ways and it fails… both ways.

Every upgrade—works for some, doesn’t work for others.

But here’s the funny part: if I look in the Roaming folder I can -see- that the installer -tried- to copy the files—they are timestamped with the files copied from the old version. But apparently they then get overwritten by some ‘default’. One of those little errors that never gets fixed.

Copied from a most helpful post by thehightenor in another thread:

When installing a Cubase update it is best to rename your previous versions preferences folder (I put an “x” at the beginning of it’s name.

This stops the new version (Cubase 9) from using those preferences and IME makes for a better owrking install free of issues.
Well at least if you have issues you know there not related to preferences!

Then go into this old renamed preference folder and copy over the preferences you need like key commands and short cuts etc.
Steinberg have a list of what they are and where to find them on their web-site under support.

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support/knowledgebase_new/show_details/kb_show/cubase-and-nuendo-program-preferences-files-in-detail/

Remember to rename the old preference folder so it’s available to the old version of Cubase it’s connected to.

From the Steinberg site

Initialising Preferences

Corrupted application preference files can bring your Steinberg sequencer into all kinds of troubles, particularly after installing an update. Fortunately, refreshing the preferences files is quite easy:

Quit the sequencer.
Go to “User Home/Library/Preferences” and locate the folder which is named the same as your sequencer, for example “Cubase 8.5”. This folder contains all preference files of your sequencer.
Since Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), the user’s Library folder is hidden! Here is how to access it: In the menu bar of Mac OS X click on “Go”. While the menu is folded out holding down the [ alt ] key (options) will show the “Library” entry.
Rename it (for example, from “Cubase 8.5” to “xCubase 8.5”) in order to hide it from the sequencer. The folder will only be hidden safely, if the change will be done before the original folder name.
If you find folders of previous versions of your program, make sure to hide or remove them, too.

Next time you start the sequencer it will create a new folder with fresh preferences and default settings - which hopefully fixes the problem you’ve experienced.

Please note: If you find folders of previous Steinberg sequencer installations, make sure to hide them, too, by renaming or removing them. Otherwise the sequencer would try to comply with them when creating fresh preferences. And exactly this could be the source of any error.

Initialising the sequencer’s preferences does not necessarily mean that you lose all settings. For example if you have defined your own set of key commands that you want to keep you can replace the corresponding file (“Key Commands.xml”) in the freshly created folder by a copy of the same file taken from the folder you’ve disabled by renaming.

Alternative ways: Instead of renaming it you also can move the preferences folder of your sequencer from the User/Library/Prefences folder to another place, for example the Desktop. You even can simply trash it if you are sure that your user settings are not that hard to rebuild.
Another approach: Since in many cases the file Defaults.xml will be the trouble maker you could also try if renaming only this particular file already solves the problem.

Thank you!

Also from about 1:00 above.