Areas of using macros in Dorico?

How do you use macros? What areas of using it?
I know it’s a great feature and I love using macros in other programs. But I have no idea how I can use it in Dorico. Maybe some examples from practice? Thanks!

Every time I need to hide a number and/or a bracket in a tuplet, I use a macro

2 Likes

You talking about the Lua stuff, which got a very minor update recently?

What’s the status of it, good enough for government work? I’ve stayed away, not wanting to mess with anything too rough.

Taking a second look, it’s a pretty right on approach. Combines scripting and action recording in one go.

1 Like

Ah ha! Cool, I found a use. For some reason various shortcut assignments don’t work. For example in Note Input mode sometimes I’ll forget I’m in a key and hit (say) a F instead of a F# from the key. Shift-Alt-Up fixes that but requires both hands which is clumsy. So I assigned the NumPad + which I already use in Note Entry for #, but it doesn’t work in this context for whatever reason.

Anyhow running a script solves it just fine. So yeah, if certain shortcut assignments don’t work for some reason a script will do it. Maybe if they could let us assign shortcuts to specific scripts that would be super useful.

1 Like

Hitting the =/+ on your keyboard doesn’t sharp the F? It does on mine.

Oh ok, I didn’t notice it was working, doing the wrong thing than I wanted. In this mode

It turns on sharping, for the next note to be entered, not the highlighted one.

DanMcL, maybe this helps?

It’s not the shallowest of dives, but I would like to invite anyone interested in the Lua side of Dorico to have a closer look at the ConsoleTools framework that I published recently; in particular, the links to the full documentation might be useful for someone with ambitions to write their own scripts.

5 Likes

In order to affect the highlighted note, first get out of note entry mode (by hitting esc or enter). Then it will work for that note. The nice and helpful thing Dorico does is keep the last note entered highlighted so you can alter it.

1 Like

I know, that’s my point is I want to sharpen the selected note, in note entry

It’s still possible to raise the just-entered note a semitone by keyboard even if you don’t want to use pitch-before-duration: Shift-Alt-↑ (and Alt-arrow if needed to change the enharmonic).

Another way, if you’re using midi entry: just arrow left and enter the note again.

Ah, I understand. I thought you were perplexed in why it wasn’t working. Still, for the benefit of others who may not know, I wanted to clarify how to do it. And, I would like to add that hitting escape and then the shortcut for sharp (or whatever) is pretty quick. (Ask me how I know… I do it all the time!) A tap of the enter key and you continue with note entry. Sounds more awkward to do than it really is in practice. (YMMV) :grinning:

I also sometimes also use Shift-Alt-↑ as @Mark_Johnson mentioned, which allows this without leaving note entry mode.

Yeah I did mention that option up above. Again, I’d like to keep my hands where they are (one on numpad and other on piano keyboard) and hit a key on the numpad. Not a deal killer but it doesn’t break the flow this way.

Jump bar. Scripts that appear in the Script menu can now be triggered via the jump bar: simply type the beginning of the script name, and it will appear in the list of commands that can be executed. If the script appears in a submenu of the Script menu, the submenu name is appended to the name of the script in parentheses

Here’s a biggie in 5.0 that accomplishes the purpose - easy triggering of scripts. Perfect

1 Like

Guys, thanks for some ideas about using macros. Now I have mine!
I’ve always wanted a favorites tab so that all the characters I use frequently are in one folder. And with the new update, it’s now possible!
Favourites
No need to remember where certain techniques and signs are placed. It’s in one folder now.
Plus the new ability to call scripts from Jump bar is also cool.
I wish devs make the ability to assign shortcuts to scripts. It will be awesome.

2 Likes