Arrow keys don't transpose midi notes

I also have this all of a sudden. I had up and down arrows set to nudge up and down, and ctrl arrows to up and down by an octave. Not anymore. And I can’t specify arrows or any combination of keys and arrow keys in keyboard commands. I hit arrow or down, and it is not registered. No key command is registered for nudge up or down.

My productivity when midi editing is halved by this.
Just make it work!

+1

Literally just posted and then managed to reproduce so this is the edit!
This issue occurred for me when I switched my computer keyboard between my laptop and desktop. When the keyboard was re-attached to the desktop the issue was occurring.

This happens all the time in 10.5. The option in preferences is disabled and the only thing that resolves it is closing and re-opening Cubase. Focus is on the editor tab.

Very irritating bug.

This is literally workflow-breaking for many people. The consistent lack of urgency on these sorts of bugs has made me consider switching to Logic more and more.

1 Like

Glad I’m not the only one with this annoying issue… I’m still on 10.5, guess I have to update to 11 to see this fixed? :slightly_frowning_face:

Still getting this, on C11 :frowning:

Can’t seem to replicate the issue reliably to demonstrate it though… grrr. Certainly seems to occur a few hours into a project though.

UP arrow is not working for MIDI editing when the MIDI note is highlighted (Selected). It really sucks. Show me the source code I’ll fix it.

2 Likes

This problem should not be that hard to root cause for the Steinberg team. When the selected MIDI note isn’t transposable from the arrow keys, the focus is on the tracks (even though it shouldn’t be). So there must be a codepath in which the key editor is focused and a note is selected, but the up/down arrow key handling is still handled by the logic for tracks.

Funnily enough, directly after posting this I figured out a workaround for my case. Go to “Edit > Preferences > Editing” and then enable “Track Selection Follows Event Selection”. For me, this fixed the arrow key transpose issue, and it stays fixed even after disabling this setting.

I hope this is helpful for others - whenever this happened to me it was a huge time waster and bummer for my creativity (having to deal with Cubase instead of music is never fun).

Fix this already!

4 Likes

Still not fixed on Cubase 12…

1 Like

Agree - I see it quite often.

Update: Seems to be related to having Channel Settings open on a random MIDI Track. Not consistent, though.

1 Like

For me it behaves as the following, with the editor in focus :

• Up/Down = Moves notes up/down by one increment.
  • Up/Down + Shift = Moves notes up/down by one octave.
  • Up/Down + Ctrl = Resizes the track height in the project window. (?)

• Left/Right = Selects previous/next note.
  • Left/Right + Shift = Add notes to the selection starting from the selected note.
  • Left/Right + Ctrl = Moves selected notes left/right by one grid/quantize increment
  • Left/Right + Alt = Moves the notes Start by one grid/quantize increment.
  • Left/Right + Alt + Shift = Moves the notes End by one grid/quantize increment.
  • Left/Right + Alt + Ctrl = Cycles through Lower Zone tabs. (normal)

I don’t have Up/Down selecting Tracks, but Up/Down + Ctrl resizes the Tracks which also seems out of place for MIDI editing.

What are your key command assignments for Zoom In Tracks/Zoom Out Tracks

I’m not answering this. When I’m working in the editor I’m not expecting project window arrangement commands to work, and this is even more true when MIDI notes are selected.
I find this highly disruptive, if we press a key command inadvertently we can make unwanted changes, like Track Versions Previous/Next with Ctrl+Shift+G/H.
Such commands should be automatically disabled when the Editor is in focus, since they are very close to Shift+G/H for Vertical Zoom. The same goes for Ctrl+G for Group Selected Events, the project window isn’t in focus so I don’t want this command to work.
When working we are not necessary watching where we put our fingers exactly, so you press the two keys at the same time and it mess things up.

What I’m doing is asking a question in order to troubleshoot. When I do this, my goal is to find a way to report the problem to the devs in a way that leads to a solution.

You don’t have to help.

Obviously the Zoom In/Out Tracks is Ctrl + Up/Down…

Note that I’ve followed this topic since it started and have never found a way to repro the problem. To be clear, what I understand after having had tested this, is that this happens in the Project Window Lower Zone editor, and not in the Windowed editor. This detail is missing from the post above.

Keyboard focus is handled differently in the Project Window zones from the windowed editors. In my view, if I am in the project window, using the lower zone editor, I do want to be able to change the size of tracks without having to manually tab to focus the correct zone, and I actually use that frequently. All my (music composition) projects start in the single window interface, and I switch to the windowed editors as things develop.

It’s not obvious to me, or to anyone who doesn’t use the default keystrokes. My keystroke is ctrl-alt-up/down.

Cubase is used in many different (unpredictable) ways and in many different languages. It’s impossible to accommodate all possible use-cases with default settings. For this reason many options are provided for user customization, and the expectation of the designers is that people use them.

It doesn’t look like this is a bug. A solution for the undesirable behavior is built into the software – in the specific use-case you have described, @Louis_R, it’s the ability to change your key commands so you don’t accidentally hit the wrong one for whatever reason.

Just experienced this issue on 12.0.52 /macOS13.2.1- arrow keys not moving selected notes in lower screen midi editor, selected tracks and parts in the project window. Arrows not recognised by ‘type in key’ field, on Edit/Key commands (all other keys recognised).
Behaviour reset successfully by quit and reopen.

This occur today. March 10, 2023
(Win10 / Cubase 12 pro)
I don’t know why, but when I close and reopen the project,
it returns to normal.

had the same problem, fixed it for me. thanks!