Arturia Keylab Essential 61 with Cubase VST & Track Quick Controls

Hi Martin,

Since my first post I have been going back and forth with Artutia customer service - but so far they haven’t been that helpful. Maybe they’re assuming some inate knowledge that i don’t have but I’m still no closer to the goal - which anyone I know or anyone on youtube seems to be able to achieve instantly!

The mode of the keyboard ? I’m not sure. Here’s where I am with troubleshooting…

• Arturia first told me to factory reset the controller
  • Arturia told me to set the ‘DAW mode’ in the ‘Arturia Midi Control Centre’ to ‘HUI’
  • They then told me to add a ‘Mackie HUI’ device in Cubase / Studio / Studio Setup window and set the ‘midi input’ to ‘MIDIN2 (Arturia Keylab Essential)’ and the ‘midi output’ to ‘MIDOUT2 (Arturia Keylab Essential)’
  • They then told me to untick ‘MIDIIN"’ in the ‘midi port setup’ section of the ‘Studio Setup’
  • They attached two template files to their email to me , the file names of which were called ‘KLE-TRK-QC-Template.keylabessential’ & ‘KLE-VST-QC-Template.keylabessential’ (i’m guessing one is for Track Quick Controls and one is for VST Quick Controls in Cubase)
  • They asked me to import these files into the templates section of the Arturia MIDI control centre
  • They then asked me to ‘Import the templates into the MIDI Control Center and “STORE” one on the USER MAP 1 and the other one in USER MAP 2’
    I took this to mean 'select the ‘KLE-TRK-QC…’ file in the ‘local template’ window / then select ‘USER 1’ in the ‘Device Settings’ window / and then click ‘Store To’ (and then follow the same process for the next file but with User 2)
    However there’s no way of knowing if the files are assigned to the user numbers once ‘Store To’ is clicked

they then said - “that’s it”

well it’s not it is it? - because nothing is mapped yet!!

• I then I tried to do the ‘learn’ process in ‘track quick controls’ and ‘VST quick controls’ - ticking learn and then fiddling the appropriate knobs or faders on the controller
  • I understand each knob and fader has it’s own ‘MIDI address’ this address should be assigned to the ‘track quick controls’ and ‘VST quick controls’ when fiddled, with learn ticked.
  • However - the address only changes to ‘144’ for any knob or fader fiddling with.
    …and the they’re just not controlling anything
    I fail to see where the ‘User 1’ and ‘User 2’ of ‘Arturia Device Memories’ comes in when navigating the Cubase interface.

Any tips would be much appreciated, if you have them at this point.

It’s the most un-user friendly / poor UX experience of my life!

Ross