ASIO Direct Monitoring Grayed Out on Interface that Supports it

I just bought a new audio interface, specifically the Behringer UMC404HD which supposed to support ASIO direct monitoring, but when I choose the ASIO driver for it in Cubase, the direct monitoring button is grayed out. I do have the latest Windows 10 drivers installed directly from the Behringer site. Does anyone have ideas as to why?

Here is a link to the product page of the interface.

http://www.musictri.be/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Interfaces/UMC404HD/p/P0BK1

That device has its own direct monitoring, but it doesn’t seem to support ASIO direct monitoring, since the word ASIO is not in its manual. (There is a Monitor button on the front of the device, which comes to the same thing, but the daw will not display a Hardware section in the mixer. )

Oh now I get it, I think. I assume what you lose in Direct vs ASIO direct is that you don;t hear effects assigned to the INPUT channel but you can still hear them in a output channel track and when monitoring is turned on for that channel - correct?

In looking around at other interfaces that support ASIO Direct Monitoring, I can’t even seem to find one at almost any prices, let alone under $300.

Check out the Steinberg UR44, it has built in fx and compression/eq and supports ASIO D.M., which means you get its channel strip integrated into the mix console in the Hardware rack. It’s exactly $300 here: UR44: An Advanced Portable Production Solution | Steinberg, you might even find it for less if you shop around. :wink:

What you lose in “direct” vs. “ASIO direct” monitoring is, that the monitoring functions of your hardware are being controlled from within Cubase in ASIO direct monitoring. It´s got nothing to do with hearing (VST) effects from inside Cubase during recording.