ASIO glitching? Please help!

Hi there. I recently got myself a new PC because my last one had a problem playing back and recording audio that I was never able to solve, so I assumed it must just be a knackered out old computer, but I’m having exactly the same problem with my new one and I’m fed up with it!

I run Cubase 8 through a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface on Windows 10 (my previous PC was Windows 7) - the PC has 16GB of RAM, an i7 core, and large SSD and HD drives - and I cannot record or playback for longer than 5 minutes (often a lot more frequently) without getting a ‘hiccup’-type glitch. I’ve been working around it for a long time, mainly by not recording much actual audio, just MIDI, but I’ve had enough and just want things to work properly. I get this even when I just record one track of audio or MIDI, with no plugins. I’ve tried changing buffer size, shutting down background programs, everything I’ve seen on forums and videos to try and optimise my PC for audio, yet I still get the same problem. And because I was having the same kind of audio glitching when I just played back songs through my MusicBee player I assumed it must just be the PC.

HOWEVER, yesterday I tried MusicBee through the WASAPI driver instead of the Focusrite ASIO driver (bypassing the interface and playing straight out of the PC’s headphone output) and the problem seemed to completely vanish! This is distressing though because it suggests that the problem is with the ASIO drivers, which seem to me to be essential to both Cubase and the Scarlett, so if for some reason my computers have an issue with ASIO I won’t be able to use them properly. I don’t want to have to switch to a new DAW because I really like Cubase and have been using it for years.

As I say, I’ve tried changing the buffer size to no avail. Are there any other things about ASIO that I should know? Any suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

How is the cpu performing?

Hi! If you’re using only your audio interface to record, it shouldn’t be a problem. I’m using windows 10 on a desktop, and I run Tascom US 4X4, Presonus Audiobox 96 and M-Audio Fast Track Pro. If you use ASIO4ALL to aggregate, and if you activate many inputs, well, it may produce glitches…
Look for the sample rate, check out if is 48000 instead of 44100

Turning off hyperthreading worked for me

Revived this old thread with a cure, given the net-wide concern over ASIO glitches, regardless of DAW used.

I had glitching in Cubase Pro11, regardless of buffer size, or ASIO driver used (ASIO4ALL, Yamaha THR, Generic low latency).

As reported by other complainants, on here and on other forums using other DAWs, glitching seemed random, except it was definitely time-use related. Glitches are absent for 1st minute or so of play, then become more frequent as play rolls on.

Complete cure achieved by TURNING OFF HYPERTHREADING in BIOS setup (Lenovo Laptop Core i7). Thanks to all who suggested doing this on here, and on other DAW forums.

It now all makes sense to me. Hyperthreading allows background processes to hijack and use the spare capacity of a core that APPEARS to be idle. This is why glitching is often absent at the beginning of a session, then gets progressively worse as background process covertly slip into the core(s) you are using for your DAW. Turning off background processes in WIN 10 doesn’t work on its own, but with hyperthreading turned off too, the problem is solved.

Since turning OFF hyperthreading, I’m now running Latency down to 4 ms for recording with no glitches whatoever, whereas, before, 40 ms wouldn’t be enough to stop glitches, and the huge latency was unusable for recording anyhow.

BTW ASIO4ALL seems to have got bad press from folk (the blame for glitches) but it works well for me now, the latest version at least, has finer control over latency than the specific Yamaha ASIO downloaded for my THR30 (used as guitar usb interface).

I can now concentrate on creating music! Also allowing one to concentrate on creativity and not menus, and keystrokes, and highly recommend, is using a 32 button Stream Deck as a macro/midi controller!

Happy days!