ASIO Interface Usage

Hello,

I keep slamming ASIO (distorting output) with a few (3-5) instances each of Razor, Kontakt, and Serum. My interface is on the highest latency, I have my audio priority set to Boost, and Steinberg Power Scheme Mode is on. What can I do to get more from my system? I just found out that ASIO is “ASIO performance is a measure of the throughput of your soundcard and has nothing to do with CPU usage”. Is this correct? Will upgrading my interface stop my ASIO from slamming so hard? If so, what specs do i need to look at. Latency is not my concern, but being able to play 25-30+ synths and samplers and without issue.

I have am running:
Windows 10
Cubase 8
16gb Ram
i7
Tascam US-144mkii
Desktop

Hi,

Unfortunately Tascam has very bad response. Using of ASIO4ALL gets often better results. Or just change you Audio Interface. :-/

In Cubase, you can use Freeze or Render In-Place, of course as a workaround.

RME are well known, not just for low latency but for good performance under load.

The Zoom’s are a more budget friendly option I’ve been reading good things about.
(In UK at Scan UAC-2 is currently at a very good price)

BUT…Don’t expect miracles…Both Razor and Serum are known to be VERY CPU/ASIO intensive.
Use them more sparingly or render them as Martin suggests.

What stats/specs should I be looking for in an interface in regards to handling ASIO?

Hi,

This is very hard to find out. This depends on the system very much. And there is no vendor, who mention this in a specification. You have to trust user experiences, and read a articles.

The only concrete info that I know of regarding audio interface ASIO performance is here:
http://www.dawbench.com/audio-int-lowlatency3.htm

Seems like the best performance is with PCI-e interfaces. However, as stated by someone else above, don’t expect miracles. Serum is very CPU intensive. 25-30 instances of Serum? No! Forget it! :slight_smile: