asio Time porformance overload HELP!

please help I’m having trouble with my cubase 6 asio Time overload.

I started Recording at 192KHz 32bit float buffer time 384 and I’m seeing asio time overload with some
cracks Glitches on my vat performance, can somebody help me figure out whats the problem my setup is

mac pro 2008 quad core intel 3.0Ghz
10GB memory
Owc ssd 120 GB (running with my mac)
Fireface RME 800
installed Lion yesterday thinking it would help any but didn’t
cubase 6 latest update version 6.0.3

Reinstelled everything on my mac with the new owc ssd DRive
have some waves plugins platinum bundle that I haven’t installed yep thinking that was the problem
I’m not using any other plugins from other company, tried raising the buffer time to 2048(the maximum my computer could go) and only gain about 2-3 more vst before asio time starts to spike again.

If anybody can help i would REALLY appreciate it a lot thanks!

and one more thing if I get the problem solved I would like to know if I could Run my waves plugins with 192khz 32bit that I’m using right now I’ve heard something about Gbridge that only works on pc for 32bit plugins is there something for mac Thanks

don’t record your music in 32bit. The 32bit is only used internally in Cubase for accurate float calculations, and not for the “real” input or output. 32bit files will only stress your harddisk more than good is. Record in 24bit, and dither to 24bit if you gonna master your stuff. Mastering will bring it down from 24bit to 16bit for the final results.

Also 196khz sample freq. will also stress your cpu a lot, since the rate is much higher than good is for normal CD music. Of cause you could be making things for high end media, but I assumed you were making normal 44.1khz, 16bit music?!

So basically your setup with 32bit, 192khz will stress your computer a lot. And the firewire interface for your audio won’t make it better. The latency you’re having trouble with, can be symptoms of the bridged firewire interface, that isn’t as fast as PCIe. Low latency will suffer a bit on firewire systems, compared to PCIe systems.

I also run a quad computer, and couldn’t think of doing any bigger projects in 32bit, 192khz. I would simply run out of cpu power before I got started.

But please tell with you’re a using 192khz, 32bit for?

SLL

I would agree that running at 192kHz is mostly your problem, it will vastly reduce your plugin count and stress your system very quickly for little actual gain.

32bit float is another matter though, it wont actually cause your system much in increased overheads, it will slightly reduce your track count due to the increased data throughput requirements of the disk system, and use more disk space but as disk space is cheap and fast these days it’s probably a mute point.

There are advantages though in having Cubase set to 32 float. Offline processing and bounce selection results are both tied into this setting along with other things that write to disk. You can record in 24bit and switch to 32 float after but as this is a hassle it’s probably just best to leave it on 32.

Also having Cubase set to 32 float will not impact on any plugins as internally Cubase works at 32 float anyway.
Whereas using 192kHz could cause problems for some plugins.