ASIO4all, any ideas what I've done please

Hi all, been playing around with loads of different drivers over the past few weeks while sorting out mixer problems, which were solved with the purchase of a new mixer :slight_smile:

I have an image backup of my PC (win 7 64 pro) before my initial Cubase install, and yesterday, restored this image and re-installed Cubase to get the install as clean as possible.

I installed the same version of ASIO4all (2.10 already had it downloaded to my data drive) but very odd things are happening.

The only difference is, that previously I was using Cubase 6.02 and after installing, I upgraded to 6.03

With the ASIO4all buffer at 512 everything works but the latency is higher than I would have liked.

Previously I simply lowered this buffer until I reached a point I was happy with and all was fine. But since my re-install and upgrade to 6.03, the following is happening.

With the ASIO buffer anywhere between 512 and 416, audio recording works fine and Cubase response is fine.

But as soon as I put the buffer below this point, to 384 or below, not only does the audio recording stop working, but the response from Cubase is extremely laggy, a lot of things (such as adding a new track or trying to change the in or output bus, or even trying to close Cubase takes ages) in the project window taking a good 5 - 7 seconds to respond to my mouse clicks rather than doing it instantly.

As soon as I raise the buffer back to 416 or above, everything is fine again.

Anyone else experienced this? Is it a problem with 6.03, or have I screwed up somewhere?

Thanks

Joe

Just upgraded to Cubase 6.04, problems still there, buffer 416 and above, all fine, below 416 , laggy and no audio recording.

What are your computer specs and type of soundcard / interface are you using?
And have you selected the ASIO4ALL driver and set your latency inside Cubase? (Devices menu / Devices setup / ASIO). You may unknowingly be using the supplied basic Generic ASIO driver which does give similar latency to your description.

Cubase is best used with dedicated soundcards and not the computer’s internal onboard soundchip which is likely inadequate for the job.

Thanks

i7-920 CPU, Gigabyte GA-EX58-DS4 Motherboard
6GB Tripple channel RAM
Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFP 24” Monitor, cheapo 19" Hanns-G 2nd monitor
Tagan 700W PSU
Nvidia GTX 465 Graphics card
Asus Xonar D2X PCI Express Sound card

Yep, it’s when I alter the buffer size from within Cubase that this problem is occurring.

At 512 samples I have in and output latency at 13.084ms
At 416 I have it at 10.907

Any lower and the problems occur.

In the ASIO4ALL window where I adjust the buffer (Devices/Device Setup then clicking on ASIO4ALL v2 under VST audio system, then clicking on Control panel)

At the top it shows WDM Device List
And this shows as ASUS Xonar D2X Audio device

If I click on the spanner for advanced options, then expand “ASUS Xonar D2X Audio device”

Its showing as
In: 2x44.1 - 192kHz, 24Bits
Out: 8x44.1 - 192kHz, 24Bits

When I alter the buffer, there’s a green icon in the windows task bar at the right, near where the clock is, and if I say change it to 416 samples from within cubase, hovering the mouse over this icon shows

ASIO4All v2 - Cubase 6 416 samples @ 44100 Hz

taken screen shot here
http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/1724/asio.jpg

best

Joe

I’d double check the Xonar card’s driver. Maybe roll back to an older version driver. Sometimes happens that some driver versions are problematic. Cubase should work with it.
Have you any contact for any Xonar forum? If not Sound on Sound forum is probably your best bet for a quick fix.

Thanks, have asked on both of those forums.

SOS say (so far) my cards simply crap (well someone that has run some tests said it’s a good card sound wise but very bad at ASIO), still waiting for a response from the Asus Forum.

Can see me ending up having to spend more money lol

best

Joe

Although the Asus is probably not really designed for DAW work, your previous experience indicates it can work so I would hang in there a little longer. I wouldn’t know what to suggest though :stuck_out_tongue:
Don’t get my soundcard, I can tell you that :wink:

Just looked. Peter Kaine works for a very large tech retailer in the UK and they test everything on the market so he’ll be a reliable source of info. I think soon, and I’m sure I got this from recent Steinberg announcements that his company, Scan are opening a dedicated music department in the next month or so, so if you are a UK resident and buying then I’d certainly look in their shop.
I know Emu are having a bit of a downer recently but their stuff is still reliable and affordable apparently but check the driver status before you buy. Look up an intended purchase and see online who is happy or not.
You will have to take the handcuffs off your wallet. :mrgreen:

Yep, I think I’m going to have to spend again :frowning:

I just reformatted, rather than install from my image backup, did a fresh install of just Win 7, Cubase and sound drivers. Exactly the same problems.

I’m wondering whether last week, I altered the ASIO to 5ms playing about and never actually tested it, hence it never really worked properly.

Now to search for a PCI express or USB card :slight_smile:

thanks for all your help

Joe

Yep card wont go lower. I know what I did last week now.

If I say have an audio track playing and I turn on hardware buffering, it lets me turn the buffer much lower and I can then restart the audio track playing.

However, even though it says the latency is now 5, the actual latency is much much much higher. Even playing one of the VST synths via midi that was playing instantaneously before with the buffer at 512, now has a very very very very noticeable lag (and the Korg is connected via USB, not the soundcards midi).

So that is why I convinced myself I had the latency lower, I did manage to get it lower, but I didn’t test it properly and it was in fact useless.

I only need to record 1 stereo audio track at a time, so hopefully can find something cheap enough to do the job.

Thanks

Joe

If you only need to record in stereo, then I would strongly recommend the Delta Audiophile 24/96 by M-Audio. It’s a pci card so you’ll need a mobo with a pci slot. You can pick them up in the uk for around £60. I’ve had mine for years - it works faultlessly, and M-Audio are (in my opinion) very good about driver development. This is an old card, but they keep on developing up to date drivers (Win 7 64 is what I run mine on). I run mine, on my very modest system, at 128 samples for latency of about 3.8 ms in and the same out.

It has the additional bonus of having an additional stereo optical in/out so if you have something that can take advantage of that, you have a 4-in 4-out card for very little money.

Steve.

Many thanks.

I only have 1 PCI card on my MB and that’s used up.

Although I have just seen that card on a web site stating

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 4 in / 4 out, PCI-X Interface, 96 kHz, 24 Bit

so maybe there’s a version that will fit my PC after all.

Will contact them and double check.