ASIO4ALL? Really? Where?

The Cubase LE 5 setup manual says to choose Devices->Device Setup and then says to click the drop-down box and choose ASIO4ALL as my ASIO Driver.

This is not an option. My options are “ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver,” “Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver,” or “No Driver.” As the software thinks I’m able to choose ASIO4ALL, it directs me to choose this, and click that (a drawing of a wrench, I guess), but none of this is available to me.

Any help would be a pleasant surprise. So far my steinberg experience has been total garbage.

Just keeps getting worse. Here’s what steinberg.net just told me:

“The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: download driver.”

Pathetic

Did you install the ASIO4All driver?
Cubase doesn’t include or install any drivers beyond those basic ones you mentioned.
The ASIO4All driver is not a driver provided, written, or supported by Steinberg.
The installation instructions for your interface should cover driver installation.

Here’s the website for ASIO4All:
http://asio4all.com/

Out of curiosity, what interface are you using?

Thanks for the reply. This is so very frustrating. All I want to do is record four mono tracks simultaneously into my PC. Was going to buy a Tascam US 1800, but the guy at the music store told me “you don’t need that,” and sold me an Alesis iO4.

I’d LOVE to get this thing working. So far the steinberg part of the puzzle is one giant joke. The “tutorial” video on how to set up the software was about 80% accurate, and somehow I managed to figure out the stuff that doesn’t quite jibe with it. I just downloaded the ASIO4ALL driver from download.com, and the interface kinda/sorta looks like what the book is telling me. There are parts where it tells me to click “yes,” but there is no “yes” to click, or tells me choose “monitor” button, but then doesn’t bother to tell me where that button is.

Like I said, ALL I WANT TO DO IS RECORD FOUR MONO TRACKS SIMULTANEOUSLY INTO MY COMPUTER.

What a nightmare.

System is Windows7 64bit

Is there any device I can buy that does NOT use this Cubase crap?

Please keep in mind that there is a full manual for Cubase available either:

1. On your Cubase installation DVD
  2. Available for download here: http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads/downloads_cle5.html

It is possible that the LE5 book is somewhat out of date concerning the ASIO4All driver’s interface.
Like I said before, ASIO4All isn’t Steinberg’s.

What you basically need to do:

1. In the ASIO4All control panel, activate (or make sure that they’re activated) the inputs and outputs for your interface.
  2. Set up your VST Connections in cubase.
  3. Create an audio track (the “monitor” button is the speaker button on the track)
  4. Record.

Someone else posted here about this same interface earlier this week. It doesn’t include any of its own drivers, so Alesis points people to ASIO4ALL. The interface comes with Cubase LE, so I’m guessing it’s a special manual just for that bundle.

Anyway keglined, as suggested, download and install ASIO4ALL. You’ll be able to select it in Cubase then. This stuff is a lot to take in all at once, so I understand your frustration. Just know that Cubase is one of the most capable and sophisticated digital recording packages on the market (I don’t know what the LE limitations are, compared to the full product). It definitely takes time to get your bearings though.

Never listen to sales people! selling an audio interface that the manufacturer can’t even be bothered to write a proper ASIO driver for, should be made illegal :smiley:

Click the link in my sig “useful Info” and have a read through some of the setup help.

You can use whichever software you like with your interface, you´re not bound to use Cubase. However, with no technical background, you might have a hard start with each of them…