Assign arpeggio line to more than one chord at a time?

Is there a way to assign arpeggio lines to multiple chords at once, rather than placing them into the score one at a time? If not, this would be a welcomed feature in the future. If this functionality exists already, can someone please provide instructions on how to accomplish this? Thanks.

No, I don’t think so.

However, you can copy an arpeggio and Alt-click where you want to paste it. I think the arpeggio will even automatically adjust its height.

There is indeed no way to do this at present e.g. via the Shift+O popover, but it’s certainly something we are interested in implementing in future.

2 Likes

Adding my support for this. For some reason when I tried to add arpeggio markings (forgot about this rule) to multiple chords Dorico crashed on me, but even without the crash it would save lots of time.

I’d be interested to see a set of diagnostics exported via Help > Create Diagnostic Report so that I can see what happened to cause Dorico to crash.

I have since restored the project and saved new changes a couple times since the crash, so not sure if that screwed up the report. I have emailed you the zipped diagnostic report as it is too large to attach here. Thanks!

I assume if this is implemented in the future, the same functionality would be available for other popover-assigned elements? For example, I wanted to gliss from one note to another for a few bars with several notes yesterday, and it would have been convenient to be able to add all the glissandi at once instead of assigning each one to each note individually. The option-click copy really does make it silly to complain too much, of course, but with the gliss I had a little trouble with it, possibly not clicking the right place, considering the gliss goes between notes, as contrasted with many other ornaments that intuitively belong to one note individually.

To apply multiple glissandos, how would you select? Just the start note, assuming each gliss ends at the following note?

Yes, when we implement this in future, we’ll try to make it as general as possible, so that it works for (as far as possible) every kind of item you can create.

That’s how it works now, if you’re just adding one gliss. I tried selecting the whole range of notes I wanted to gliss between (among? :thinking:), which I thought might allow me to apply all the glissandi at once. I assume that’s how it will eventually work.

Since a series of notes could have both upward and downward glissandi, I’m glad I don’t have to program this. :grimacing:

glissandi

1 Like

For sure! As my 2c of what seems intuitive to me, I would say your second example would make sense as default behavior when you have all four notes selected and add gliss.

Your first measure is a really tough case because it spans more than one staff. If the same concept were in one staff, I would say it would make sense to select only the bottom notes (i.e. every other note), and when you insert gliss, it would do what you have pictured.

To get multiple gliss behavior across staves like that is a puzzle for someone smarter than I. :slight_smile: But if it can be solved, I’m confident the Dorico team will be the ones to solve it!