atleast now does C6 support 2 different sound cards???

Hi
atleast now does C6 support 2 different sound cards???
i want to use a maudio delta 66 for play back and the edirol usb 10 in 10 out together … will C6.5 allow this … i belive cakewalk supported this years back … Steinberg or any one !!! pls can u reply ??
thanks
$

Cubase does support 2 different soundcards, you just need an ASIO driver that allows to use both of them at the same time…

thanks , would you or any one know which version of asio drivers will help me do that , with the lowest possible latiencies??? there are so many Asio drivers out there … and i have also mentioned the 2 model and makes of the sound cards i intend to use…
sam

I doubt that you will find an ASIO driver that will support both soundcards. Once upon a time there was a company, CEntrance, that made a “Universal ASIO Driver”, but I believe it is no longer available. I think it only supported firewire devices and it was not all inclusive.

I did find this though - it claims USB but not sure which devices. It may only support it’s own line of devices these days.

http://centrance.com/downloads/ud/

Ron

EDIT: Confirmed that the Universal Driver now only supports CEntrance devices (and XMOS L1 EVM - whatever that is).

Following is a document describing the now defunct driver.

http://www.centrance.com/about/tr/LightEOFWTunnel.pdf

What about the Charlie Steinberg multiclient ASIO driver?

Nevertheless i believe that your best bet is to connect them externally digital clocked.
I used to have two DSP Factory and an M-Audio working together that way.
I only could use one ASIO driver but three cards simultaneously.

I don´t even know what system you´re on. But you probably won´t find much more than ASIO4all on win and creating an aggregated device on Mac.

That´s not it.

Doesn’t ASIO4ALL do this?

Thanks Guys , asio 4 all dont do it , how will it show the different latencies for both cards , looks like there is only one card that can be added @ a time… i have down loaded the Ceentrance , dont think it will work , dont you feel that steinberg should look into this seriously , its 2012 4 gods sake … if cakewalk could do it years ago … what the big deal…
a little deviation , also i read that that the usb chip has a new protocol now on its hard ware that does away with some Fita chip , whatever , that dont even requires drivers any more , and windows pick it up generically , many newer surfaces controls have began to use them , there is the bitstream X3 that does it … n well by the way i use win 7 x 64 bit C6 , H4 HS … n some 3rd part plug ins… steinberg u got to wake up man , i read many many ipads have come up with fantastic DAW @ cheap rates … pls support your loyal clients. thanks s

Not a Cubase issue. All down to Soundcard drivers. Learn a little more and then you can tell Steinberg how to do things. :mrgreen:

Most serious DAW users will buy one card / interface that has enough inputs and a stable driver history. Very few use two. Most pro studios can afford them and not faff around with two or more. If you need that many inputs it’s hard to do it on the cheap.

From this Sound On Sound article, it appears that this is not a Cubase, but a Windows / ASIO limitation. A very informative article anyway, be it a bit dated (2006).

well i am here 2 learn , my statement was based on cakewalks ability to support 2 different sounds cards , years ago , and that was on win OS as well, ok … so its the OS fault , then they should fix it … i read that linux supports 8 similar cards … but who got to the time n inclination to learn some thing new , other than that , wish my bank account was busting with $$$ to afford pro sound cards , i try to manage as best , and expect the manufacturers to help sort out the intricate parts … ofcourse , i regard Cubase highly , and appreciate their software … :slight_smile:

Cakewalk doesn’t Support multiple asio Drivers at a Time. It may be possible with windows wasapi drivers.

Asio4all does Support multiple asio drivers and is ONE driver to the host, but you have to deal with digital Sync issues.

Time to learn a Bit more still… :wink:

yeah , conflicting reviews, though , means no one actually as of now , uses 2 different sound cards @ a time … can Steinberg finally comment n close this thread, weather it is possible , will ever be ?? or never … S

Windows does support multipile sound cards running at once, but in regards to Cubase and other DAW’S they need clock and bit perfect response from cards which is a difficult trick to handle when you have more than one card, but is sort of theoretically possible if they are all running at the same clock rate, depth and latency. Linux does not support multipile cards in that fashion, nor does anyone else really, OSX comes closest with the aggregate card function but not all daws support that fully because of timing problems between interfaces (the clocks of each card is independent and therefore can drift away from each other)

It’s not Steinberg issue - so Steinberg will likely not comment.

Currently ASIO is the defacto standard for DAW audio (in windows) and each manufacturer develops the drivers for their hardware to the ASIO standard. Unless you get a 3rd party (like CEntance attempted to do) to develop an ASIO driver that supports multiple cards/vendors it is not going to happen. Mostly because the 3rd party would need detailed knowledge of the hardware to write the driver, and the detailed knowledge is often propietary.

BTW, I believe there are instances where two different soundcards can be used, but they are from the same manufacturer, and it’s because the manufacturer created a single ASIO driver to support them.

So the ONLY way it would ever happen (IMHO) is if a new standard was adopted that supported multiple soundcards. But even then, it would need to be universally adopted and all the manufactures would have to write drivers that support it. Meaning legacy hardware would likely not be included.

Ron

Flog those two cards and buy a Roland Octacapture instead. Very affordable for the average Cubase user.

Yes, that’s true in one instance I’ve heard of, but there’s a bit more to the issue. Cause it’s also Windows.

When I set up my current rig, I installed the firewire interface in the Tascam DM3200, with ASIO driver in Win7, basically to have 32 channels in and out of Cubase. I also installed another card I still had lying, an E-mu 0404 PCI, into the same PC, also with ASIO driver. I was planning on using that in WaveLab, sending the main mix from Tascam through S/PDIF to the 0404 into WaveLab. But this didn’t work: two cards, each with their own ASIO driver, cannot be used at the same time in Windows. Fortunately, Cubase and WaveLab now do both share the same firewire interface to and from the DM3200 (at the same time!), which amazed me… The E-mu? It’s good for Windows and Youtube etc, analog to the board.

I use multiple audio devices each with their own driver in multiple apps at the same time, no problem.
I use asio4all, driving two audio devices at the same time, no problem.
I use two rme hdsp digifaces, one asio driver used by multiple apps at the same time, no problem.
I use jackaudio, streaming audio from any app to others, no problem.

I haven’t played with ASIO4ALL so I really can’t comment. At one point I thought ASIO4ALL wrapped wdm drivers so you had a lot of latency. I read earlier however that you can wrap other ASIO drivers - is that true?

Also how is your latency using ASIO4ALL?

Ron

I use asio4all with the laptops onboard sound card and the rme digiface wdm, when I want to easily switch between the studio monitors and consumer speakers. Latency down to 128 samples works perfectly under load, I’m @ 192 samples with asio4all usually.