Atmos Rendering and Buffer Size

I keep seeing instructions to set the buffer size to 512 samples when running the Dolby Atmos renderer plugin.

Are there any conditions under which it is possible to lower the buffer size below 512 (if you use a HEDT CPU for instance) or will the renderer simply not work on other settings?

Forgive the possibly annoying question, but why would you want it to be lower?

Lower latency for running an orchestral template direct into Atmos without separating the composition/mock-up and mixing process into two discrete stages.

1 Like

Wow, I have an i9 10900x cpu and full orchestral mockups with a little electronics included get me way up there on the cpu meter, and you are tossing in Atmos on top of that? What you got under the hood, man?!!! You are indeed stuck at 512 for atmos. My mixes are always better finalized after composing anyway, but time constraints of course can come into play. Iā€™m still not convinced for me personally that I save time composing/mixing all at once.

I would like to have the complete pipeline unobstructed from inception to post.
The question was mostly a hypothetical however.
I am thinking about possibilities with next gen Threadrippers due out this year (with the caveat that they fix their core latency issues and play nice with pro audio).

I would highly suggest that Steinberg takes steps to lower the buffer size for the internal Atmos renderer.

The fastest RTL reported for an audio interface at 512 is just over 23ms:

That is just not fast enough for real-time music composition direct to Atmos.