Attempting to open bottom pane freezes project

I’m suddenly experiencing a very annoying problem in Cubase 10.5 Pro. Whenever I attempt to open the bottom pane for a MIDI track, the whole project freezes completely and becomes unresponsive. The only thing I can do is close the program through Windows Task Manager.

It does not matter whether I attempt to open the bottom pane by double-clicking a MIDI event or by clicking the dedicated button (top left). This problem occurs in existing and new projects. Opening the bottom pane for audio events does not lead to any issues.

I do not have any third party plugins installed.

Please help me solve this soon. It’s driving me nuts and disabling me from continuing my work!

Hi,

Could you try in Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Hi Martin,

Thank you for your reply. I just opened Cubase in safe start made and selected the ‘disable preferences’ option. I then opened a new project and added a Halion Sonic track. Unfortunately the previously described error still occurs when attempting to open the bottom pane for the midi channel.

Hi,

What operating system do you use, please?

Do you have some older Cubase preferences folder in the Cubase preferences folder, please?
Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase _X__64

If yes, could you try to ZIP all preferences folder (to make sure Cubase 10.5 will not inherit any older Cubase preferences) and try it again, please?

Hi Martin,

My operating system is Windows 10 64bit.

I tried your suggestion and the error persists unfortunately.

Hi,

Use the Microsoft ProcDump utility to make a DMP file, please.

Then share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Hi Martin,

I’m more than happy to do this and share via Dropbox. I’m unfamiliar with procdump however, so could you please give me a bit more guidance on that front?

I’ve downloaded the program from the link you’ve sent, but opening the .exe files just opens a DOS windows which does something too quick for me to read… Should I be running this program from DOS or something?

Hi,

I’m sorry, I’m not Windows user. I just know, users are able to generate useful DMP file for me by using this utility. Maybe even right-click, open Task Manager and Generate a DMP is possible there somehow…