Audio Bus - What is it actually for?

Hello,

I understand the principles of a bus… I guess I am still a little confused as to how to use them.

I have the Steinberg UR22 MK II. I will be going directly into this, through Cubase AI 8, and using the effects within this software post-tracking. Initially, I have no plan to use external MIDI, or any external effects or rackmounts or anything.

So, will I need still to set buses? Is there a default setting that already takes care of this?

I noticed in the tutorial videos, the dude creates certain buses for ROOM or whatever… Do I need to do this for BASS, GUITAR, VOCAL, setting each line-in and out? Like, every instrument? Or just every instrument where I use external effects/rackmounts?

Can I simply ‘add a track’ and know that unless I have special requirements, I needn’t bother with setting buses? If I do not add a bus, will I be unable to use the effects within the software?

I will be multi-tracking, creating (hopefully - am soon to attempt this) a drum track (from the software), bass on top, guitars, and so on… No recording mic and line at the same time.

If you could help, that would be great as I am drowning in info.

Cheers!

Hi,

Lets simplify it this way: Bus is the connection between the physical Input (or Output) of your Audio Device, and the virtual Channel in Cubase. So you definitely need a bus to get the signal from your Input to the track, or from your track to your Audio Device Output.

But you don’t need a unique bus for every single track, of course.

If your aproach is the Addictive recording (you Record only the Guitar, then only the Bass, then only the Voice), one Bus is enough for you on the Input side. You will use the Mono In bus only. Once, you connect your Guitar, next time you will connect the Bass, and last the microphone. Still the same Input (Input 1) on your Audio Device, and still the same Bus.

I hope, I make it clear.