Audio Cutting Out - Solved!

Also, have you possibly made a shortcut to muting notes by accident? (I don’t know if that’s possible, but we’re already into the weeds on causes)

I’not sure what that means but I don’t think that’s the problem. Thanks.

@rexwine , Where does Dorico put the sample files?I can’t find them now. I created folders for my own stuff and the Dorico samples are no longer on the “recent” list.

PS I despise Windows 11. I can’t search for a file type any more. If I put “*.dorico” in the search window, it starts looking for “dorico” on the Internet.

You appear to have ruled out all other suggestions, and narrowed the issue to NP.

Have you tried uninstalling NP and reinstalling it?

I installed NP 4.1. I guess that counts.

Since the drop-outs now happen with HALion as well and since the speaker volume–for Dorico only–is way too low, I feel like something is messed up in Dorico or between Dorico and Windows.

This is new information. Your earlier posts said that Halion (and other apps) worked…

And we subsequently excluded other scores, so it couldn’t be project specific.

Are you perhaps able to post audio recordings of the problem (I’m not expert, but you should be able to use something like Audacity to record what the windows system is outputting. Perhaps that will give us some more clues)?

I know all these posts are confusing, and no one can keep track–apologies–but I did post earlier that HALion is also broken now.

Regarding a video, soeaker bolunes --for Dorico only–is really low now so I have to use earbuds and this prevents getting a decent video. (I have checked Windows sound and speaker settings several times.)

Pervious Post
Wallender suggested I run the NotePerformer 4.1 update.

1. Now the NP playback will only play a couple notes, stop for a couple of notes, play a few more, etc. Farworse than it was before.
  2. And since the update, HALion does the same thing.

Seems like a Windows - Dorico issue and not really related to NP then. Here are some settings suggestions, some of which you’ve already done but maybe not in combination with others.

1. In System / Sound disable any devices you aren’t actually using.

2. Since you’re using 48kHz, in System / Sound confirm every audio device on your system is also set to use 48kHz .

3. In System / Sound / More Sound Settings click each Playback device, then click Properties, then Advanced. Confirm device is set to 48kHz and Exclusive mode is not checked. Repeat for each Playback device on your system.

4. In System search for Control Panel. In Control Panel go to Hardware and Sound / Power Options. Select High Performance. Click “Change plan settings.” Click “Change advanced power settings.” Under Processor Power Management select 100% for Minimum processor state.

5. In Dorico, confirm the sample rate is set to 48kHz every time you open Dorico. I remember a couple of years ago there was an issue where Dorico would reset to 44.1kHz with FlexASIO. I think Ulf told me how to fix this, but I’m using a different ASIO driver now and can’t remember.

6. Make sure your project is stored locally and not on a cloud drive.

7. Disable or uninstall any crapware, especially any sort of gaming accelerators if you aren’t a gamer as they don’t always play well with audio stuff.

8. If you aren’t actively using Bluetooth devices during playback, then disable Bluetooth.

9. I have no idea what sort of BIOS settings a MS Surface has, but if there are any C-State settings, disable all the higher ones above C1, or select a high or max performance setting.

Maybe some combination of those will help …

I still highly recommend running LatencyMon as per my post above: Audio Cutting Out - Now It's REALLY Bad - #27 by mducharme

I’ve used it for years to help troubleshoot these sorts of issues.

And I reaffirm the idea of running the Surface troubleshooter mentioned, and running a deep memory test, which I also linked to.

What is your exact Windows build? Available in Settings->System->About

You need to do the search for “*.dorico” in the File Explorer search box, not in the Taskbar search box - that will search the internet as well. Not what you want.

Strongly advise against. If anything, reset to factory defaults, but I would not be playing with the BIOS. I have no idea what ‘C-State’ is so perhaps it is something on Mac, which I do not know anything about.

I am putting my money on sample rate mismatch.

Do you have an external USB audio interface? Highly recommended in any case. You could beg, borrow, or steal one to try. Even if you never record, the audio output is going to be vastly nicer than the Surface built in audio. I use an expensive UA Audio Volt 4 purely for the quality of the headphone amplifier, and their good ASIO driver.

1 Like

It’s a Windows thing. It determines if and how Windows can shut down various parts of your CPU to save power. My current BIOS has a global setting and then a specific one for C6. I think my last mobo had more granular control. His will obviously be different, but here’s a snippet from my mobo manual:

Basically just to rule out he’s getting drop outs because Windows is crippling the CPU.

Hey. Thanks.

1-I didn’t see how to change Windows to 44.1K so I changed Dorico to 48K.
2-Long answer, but the MOTU 896 MK3 on my rack-mount studio computer died. I bought a Scarlett 2i2 that I’m using there temporarily. When I replace the larger MOTU, the Scarlett will become my laptop (Surface) interface. I primarily use the rack-mount for sessions and the laptop for scoring, but I want the laptop a ailable for backup or remote recording. The rack-mount is older but upgraded with memory and storage.
3-I’m still mystified why the laptop speaker volume is suddenly so low while the headphones are fine. Obviously, I quadruple-checked the volume settings in Windows and in the Dorico mixer.

I am about to disable Microsoft Defender (only while running Dorico). It’s my last idea. Some antivirus stuff is almost as bad as a virus. (I’m looking at you, Norton.) My day job is in banking technology and I’m a little familiar with security software.

I remember once, confirming using a DAW, there were like 35 or more places in the audio chain where one could affect/change/mute (mess up) the sound.

Basically, though, if you have at least two computers in your household capable of running your dorico NP setup, I would be surprised if both have the same sound issue running the exact same settings recommend by Dorico and NP.

1-Turning off security did not help.
2-The other machine is still on Windows 7. Dorico is not installed there. (Long story, but not relevant.)

Thank you all.

@FredGUnn what mainboard is this? I have never seen this on any of my various Windows systems. I use Intel. is this AMD specific?

The Surface is Intel.

Re speakers vs headphones. Can I ask again, have you run the Windows audio troubleshooters?

I will. Thanks.