Audio Driver Selection Problem

System: Cubase 11 Pro, Windows 10, Focusrite Clarett & Focusrite Control interface.
Yesterday this setup was recording audio and MIDI perfectly. Usually I can easily choose between 2-3 different audio interfaces - including the laptop’s own.
Today, Focusrite is connected and running on PC, but Cubase ‘Audio Connections’ lists only ‘Generic Low-latency Audio Driver’, which is displayed, but does nothing.

Please can anyone suggest why Cubase cannot see my Focusrite system, and a logical ‘reset’ routine I could follow?

reboot ?..

Thanks for your reply…and you’d think, but this was from a fresh start.
Reboot makes no difference.
Windows correctly shows Focusrite as primary I/O channel with the laptop’s default as second choice as usual.
It’s as if Cubase lost its memory overnight.

do you have any other devices that use ASIO drivers ?

Windows uses different drivers to cubase so it’s not a proper test…I saw some issues with Line6 devices having corrupted drivers after a windows update - so if the ASIO driver has disappeared then I’d reinstall the focusrite driver.

PROBLEM SOLVED I was baffled by a user interface ‘feature’.

The Menu bar entry ‘Studio’ listed ‘Audio Connections’ at the top, but only ‘Generic ASIO Audio Driver’ which was live.

The other drivers are listed at the bottom of the ‘Studio’ menu in ‘Studio Setup’ > ‘Audio Systems’. But here again you only see the default and live option ‘Generic ASIO Audio Driver’ until you click in the drop-down list box where any other interfaces are cunningly concealed.

1 Like

Thanks for this. I’ve just had the exact same problem - same version of Cubase, same audio interface, same version of windows.

The problem is being caused by the user interface design.

When the user selects Studio > Studio Setup and the Studio Setup window launches, the option that’s automatically selected on the left-hand panel is “Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver”.

Most users would expect to be able to choose a different audio driver from a drop down menu using the right-hand panel, but this is not the case.

To change the audio driver requires you select “Audio System” in the left-hand panel, and then select a different audio driver from there.

The reason why Cubase “forgot” which audio driver to use in my case was that I started Cubase without first having switched the audio interface on and wasn’t watching carefully enough when it told me the interface was unavailable and it was switching drivers.

It’s worth noting that if this has happened to you, and you have external MIDI instruments or devices connected to your Focusrite, once you have selected the correct ASIO driver once more, you may also need to select Studio > More Options > MIDI Device Manager in order to re-select the audio interface as the output for such instruments or devices.

Same problem. It’s a shame it is hidden so much. Cubase is awesome, but in the future vesions should be simplified as much as possible.