Audio Dropout when I connect External Monitor

Hello,

When I connect external monitor I am having these audio dropouts making it impossible to work
When I disconnect the monitor its all fine.

My setup is
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
2.9 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i9
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB
Big Sur and Cubase 11
Samsung M7 Monitor
Apogee One External Audio Interface

I have tried all kinds of HDMI, USB-C, Thunderbolt cables (original mac and other quality ones) none of them made any difference.

The same problem happens also while using Ableton Live too

Can anyone suggest any idea to fix this?
I thought of upgrading Mac Graphic Card’s driver but there is no way to update or adjust its settings I guess?

Anything I can tweak?

Anyone experiencing a similar problem?

Thanks a lot!

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Could you simply try to increase your Audio Device Buffer Size, please?

hi martin!
i have tried that, it doesn’t help too
it just refreshes memory, audio dropout happens again soon after again

canbener, do you have an external audio interface? How is is connected to your laptop? Could there be a conflict?

Hi,

Can you see any hint in the macIS utility Activity Monitor? Is anything really CPU hungry?

Im using Apogee One external audio interface.
It seems to be working fine.

I have also tested with other audio interface and with macbooks own sound card.
I still have audiodrops

So I can say it’s not about the audio interface

This audio dropout only happens when I’m using an external screen

Activity monitor looks fine, nothing other than cubase using cpu significantly. All usual applications

I wish maybe there could be a way to see, test or adjust external video performance of MacBook pro. I couldn’t find any tools about that.

I took my macbook also to authorized service and checked everything cpu, graphic card, memory all seems to work fine

Hi,

Any other component heavily in use? Memory, Disk Write/Read, Network…

Just checked again, nothing unusual there. All seems to be fine as it should be

Hi,

Sorry, I tent to find out, where the problem is, what blocks the fluent audio communication. So I would search for some system monitoring tool.

Does the Monitor appears as other Audio device, if you connect it via HDMI or USB-C? Does it mean, the system deals with 2 Audio Devices then?

Yes, the system sees the monitor also as an audio device
I never use the monitor as an audio device but it remains on the list with others (samsung)

i can’t be the only one having this problem :slight_smile:

Can anyone at cubase have an idea about why is this happening? Maybe they may have heard some past experiences like this?

Hi @canbener , I have forwarded the issue to one of our developers. I’ll get in touch with you when I have more info.

1 Like

Thank you very much Chriss :pray::pray:

Hi @canbener, the dev suggests to have a look into your console reports and watch out for graphic card related issues. As you are having the same dropouts with Ableton Live, we assume an issue with the video card driver and/ or the connectivity to the M7. Have you already filed a ticket at the Samsung support?
One idea: have you tried to select the M7 Monitor as audio interface in Cubase? Maybe you get new insights or see options to configure the Monitor so that it doesn’t interfere with other interfaces anymore?