Audio dropping out, freezing, now weird noise.

Upgraded to 10.5 a couple of weeks or so ago, now I’ve started having issues.

While playing back a project, the audio will randomly drop out occasionally, but MIDI and instrument tracks will continue to play. The playhead will carry on as normal, too.

When recording, it occasionally will stop and tell me too many tracks recording at once, even though there are only 2 and it works fine for 99% of the time.

When moving tracks to re-order them, the whole program can freeze for up to a minute I estimated at one point.

What’s prompted me to register to here to write this is while playing back just a couple of acoustic guitar tracks just, a very loud sound came out of nowhere, clipping to around +2dB. I moved forward in the track, it was fine, and it happened to both tracks but at a delay, one a couple of seconds before the other. I tried bouncing down the tracks into a new project, but on the separate audio files I can see where it happens. Normal audio waveform until literally a rectangle.

My gear -
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 1st Gen
AMD Ryzen 5 Processor
16gb ram
Windows 10 Pro
Not sure what else could be of use to anyone?

Hope someone can help :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome,

Try to test your system by using LatencyMon utility, please.

Try to increase your Audio Device Buffer Size, please.

Thanks for getting back to me,

LatencyMon says my system is suitable without dropouts. I should note that I had no such issues with Cubase 8, and these issues have only started recently, about a week after upgrading to 10.5

At a buffer size of 32, Cubase has 4.467mc of latency, and at 160 buffer size, it’s 10.340ms. These aren’t my only options, just 2 examples. The recording and playback issues still occur even at high buffer size and doesn’t seem to effect it.

Would it be a good idea to simply un- and re-install Cubase?

wich Audio driver do you use? ASIO?
try to reinstall this first

Yea I use ASIO, on a separate project it’s made the noise again on playback. Like an electrical buzz saw I’d describe it, 100% wasn’t there in recording, not showing on wave file. I go into my folder where it’s located on my pc and drag it in, nothing showing, but the noise is in the same place. I’ve moved it around in my project and it’s still the same place. I play the recorded file through windows media player completely separate to Cubase, and it’s still there.

Needless to say I’m at a bit of a loss with this.

Hi,

Could you record the noise (to other source) and attach it here, please?

Hi, the topic is also interesting for me.
Let me know if you get the result. Thanks