Audio editing in Cubasis 3

While recording audio in Cubasis is fine (with a decent audio interface) the editing side is currently limited to trimming start and end point, normalizing (which is way too extreme by the way) and…that’s about it.

Case example: Recording spoken word.
Recording: went great (no fan noise because we can now use an iPad for high quality audio recordings. Yay!)
Editing out gaps, breath and mouth noises: Oh…well I guess I have to export the stem into a desktop DAW to do this part…

Of course, I could also be talking about singing vocals, guitar parts etc but the process is the same.

This is frustrating because, like so much of the iPad experience with apps it’s NEARLY there but not quite on a ‘good enough’ level to work completely stand alone with no desktop involved. Cubasis 3 already has great tools to create more than good enough recordings - stability, familiar and intuitive work flow, great effects and compressors, EQ’s etc but trying to wrangle that into a finished product is still elusive.

The Touch screen interface of the iPad would lend itself well for zeroing in on audio sections for adjustment. It just doesn’t look like it can be done at the moment. Or am I missing something?

Any chance the editing side of audio will be getting updated?

I feel like I am one of a growing number of people that want to work exclusively on iOS going forward. While the desktop environment is powerful it feels so ‘2010‘ by comparison. I am sure there are many others here that know exactly what I mean by that.

Hi RayDeejay,

Thank you for your message.

There is a good chance that we will add further editing options in the future.

Case example: Recording spoken word.
Recording: went great (no fan noise because we can now use an iPad for high quality audio recordings. Yay!)
Editing out gaps, breath and mouth noises: Oh…well I guess I have to export the stem into a desktop DAW to do this part…

Normally, editing tasks like this should be quickly and easily possible in the arrange window itself.
Please give it a try via these simple steps:

• Set “Grid” in the sub menu to “OFF”
  • Place the cursor where you want to create a cut and tap the split button
  • Delete the audio events which contain unused information via tapping the “Erase” button

If you find out that cuts are not properly set, you could change starts and endings of the events afterwards, via moving their track handles.

Once done, you could tap “TrackFreeze” to create a new audio event afterwards.

Does this make sense?

Best,
Lars

That is encouraging to hear, thank you. One thing that made me move over to Cubasis from Auria Pro was Steinberg’s resources and commitment to the iOS platform long term.

Yes, this work around does work better than expected, thank you.

I made the edits, froze the track. Deleted the frozen track and mixed down the result. Done.
Still a little confused why I could not work from within the pop up audio editor but hey, it works. :slight_smile:

I meant to say (above post) that I froze the track, deleted the DISABLED track and mixed down the result. :slight_smile:

Yes, this work around does work better than expected, thank you.

Glad to read this, thanks for the update, RayDeeyay!

Best,
Lars