Audio export dropouts

i just started with dorico 5.1.51.2153 audioengine 5.6.41.124
i am running win 10 64 bit intel core i7-6700 cpu @4.00 ghz ram 32 GB and SSD
i loaded the program and created a piano trio score it plays back ok but when i try to export wav it has dropouts and poor audio which seems to be a buffer issue
i have a choice of 2 selections in device setup one is steinberg built in asio the other is asio lynx (my card) when i use steinberg i have the audio problem when i try to switch to asio lynx and open the control panel to check the buffer only a corner of that window is visible in the corner of my desktop and i can’t see or manipulate the controls so i dont know what that is set at however when i used the lynx with finale it was set to sample rate 48000 and buffer 1024
can anyone give me advice as to why this is happening and how i can correct it?
any help is appreciated…

also another audio export problem , when i generate the wav file, sometimes (i.e this is an intermittent issue) the G# notes in the following trumpet passage plays an octave higher.
win 11 , 32GB desktop pc, vst running BBCSO core.
weird. :frowning:

Hi @NJ_C ,
when you can’t see the driver’s control panel, try following:
Hover with the mouse of the Dorico icon in your task bar, it will then show a small preview of each open Dorico window. Move the mouse over the preview window of the driver device panel and do a right click on it, a pop-up menu appears where you can choose ‘Move’. Do that and then you can use the cursor keys Left, Right, Up and Down to move the window around. Once at a convenient position you hit the Enter key which finishes the positioning.
Then check your audio settings again.

Sorry @kelvynchin , I have no idea on your issue.

1 Like

Hi Ulf
When i have the control panel for asio lynx in the corner of my main window and i hover over the dorico icon i see only the steinberg hub with icons for compositions and templates the control panel is not there and when i click on the control panel and hit escape it goes away

Probably best to start a new thread on this, and provide a sample file that exhibits the problem. You’re sure it’s not just harmonics?

Thanks. Not sure what it is at all, as I said, it happens intermittently. Most of the time it plays back ok, but suddenly the G# will play an octave higher. Living with it at the moment :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi @NJ_C , and the driver panel has no own icon being placed on the task bar where you could do the hovering?

hi Ulf
there is an icon for the lynx mixer but not the driver panel also when I perform this action in Finale the driver panel appears in the center of my screen

Hi @NJ_C , I’m running out of steam.

Is there any other means of showing the driver panel? There should be, because also the Steinberg Built-in and old Generic ASIO drivers have a .exe by which one can launch the driver panel.

Getting desperate, what if you try yet another, completely different driver? Please try FlexASIO, which you can download from here. How’s that going?

Hi Ulf
I have the file asiobtimsetup.exe when i click on it i get a window: steinberg built-in driver ASIO Driver version 1.0.7.20 -x64 which shows the input and output ports… this is not the panel that i can’t access it is the device control panel where i have the options for changing the buffer that i need… How do i get access to that panel?

Right, that setup GUI looks always different depending on the driver.
Maybe you can have a look under C:/Program Files if there is a folder of the company that makes that your driver. Chances are that that driver panel can be invoked by some exe in that folder (similar to our asiobtimsetup.exe).

And also please consider trying that FlexASIO driver.

hi Ulf
ok I have news… I added a local user account and somehow managed to push the Lynx audio device control window where I could see it and it is set correctly to buffer 1024 and it is loaded in Dorico unfortunately it neither creates audio when playing the file or when I touch the keyboard of a loaded instrument… then I switched dorico back to steinberg built in asio and the audio returned but the export audio is not good … I also noticed that when the lynx audio was in dorico my finale program switched to steinberg asio and I was able to view the settings, the only buffer setting available is 441 which is of course too low and would explain why the sound quality on export is bad from dorico. I assume that there must be higher buffer settings for steinberg built in audio but it only shows 441 and I don’t see any way to change it and my AsioLynx does not appear to be recognized by dorico unlike in Finale
ii must have a higher quality export, can you provide any info on this audio issue?

Hi NJ_C,
could you please do from the Dorico menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post here the corresponding zip file?

Also, did you try to install that FlexASIO driver already?

Thanks
Ulf

Hi Ulf

Hi Ulf
diagnostics attached… I tried to download FLEXasio but my system flagged it as possibly unsafe can you confirm this is safe to download?

(attachments)

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (565 KB)

Hi @NJ_C , yes, it is safe.

hi Ulf
I downloaded Flexasio and exported the track the result was just incrementally better but still dropouts and definitely not broadcast quality audio

sorry I forgot to ask you if there is some way for me to adjust the buffer in Flexasio

Yes, there is, but you do that via a config file. Well, it exists a rudimentary driver control panel, but it is rather poor and buggy.

Btw, did I ever ask you to run an app called LatencyMon?