Audio files in pool are not permanent?

When i import audio files in the pool …they are gone when i quit Cubase and reopen again
My idea to build up a library of audio files first without connecting them to a project and organised them in folders

I am only working with import in the pool and there is no projectfile already made
I thought that all imported audifiles were stored on my harddisk ?.. i loaded (import ) audio files and they are showing up in the red audio folder and also when i use folders for organising

Than i quit with Cubase and start again to go work further with the audio pool, but it is now empty !.. so al my previous import is gone.

What is here going wrong ?
:slight_smile:

One of the first points concerning the chapter “the pool” in the manual:

How exactly do you do that? At least in C 5 you can´t access the pool without creating a project first, and I´m almost certain it´s the same in C 6, can´t check that though…

Some would say, that´s what mediabay is for. I could quote the manual once more, but I don´t want to…

Thanks!

How exactly do you do that? At least in C 5 you can´t access the pool without creating a project first, and I´m almost certain it´s the same in C 6, can´t check that though…
Ofcourse there is a project open, but it has not a name yet …and i did not not saved it
If the pool always is connected with a project file ( as you stated), and i did not saved the project than it is getting lost than.

Some would say, that´s what mediabay is for. I could quote the manual once more, but I don´t want to…

Yes, store the audiofiles first separated from a project on my harddisk and using mediabay to find them and later i can add audiofiles to a project

Well, pool audiofiles and project audio files belonging to eachother, once a project is open and a audiofile is in the pool.

Yes, reffering to the manual is always a possible solution to help someone, but here are the notion of a pool & projectfile and Media bay essential how they operate. ( you mention all three here…so that’s getting my thinking :wink: )

Just remember that the pool is not a physical place. It is a list where audio files that are used in a project are listed. Usually those audio files will be in the ‘Audio’ directory of a project, but they don’t need to be. On the other hand if there is not a project (not saved) then there is no need for that list, so in your words the files are ‘gone’. Nothing is gone ofcourse, there’s just no need for a list if there is no project.

Mediabay is also not a physical place, but a database of each and every audio, MIDI, preference file etc, that is on your system. This database exists independently from Cubase projects.

[quote=“janamdo”]When i import audio files in the pool …they are gone when i quit Cubase and reopen again
quote]

Sounds like you’re not saving the project before you quit.

It sound like an unusual way of working. Like the other guy said, read about the pool in the manual and what it is for. It is not for building up libraries to use in multiple tracks…

[quote=“killawattz”][quote=“janamdo”]When i import audio files in the pool …they are gone when i quit Cubase and reopen again
quote]

quote]
Do you read my post ?

Yes Janamdo, I read it thoroughly. You didnt ever mention saving the song. I think you will need to have a project set up even if you dont use it.

But anyway, I reiterate what I and others said – that it’s probably not a good idea to work this way.

Hi
I appriciate that you take your time to help me :slight_smile:
Important is to realize that the “pool” is not the place where i store all my audiofiles for future use in projects

what you may want however is to use a ‘library’ (as refered to by steinberg):

“you can use libraries to store fx, loops, video clips, etc., and transfer media from a library into a project by using drag and drop.”

start by going file > new library.

indeed, mediabay is very handy. this way though, you can create separate ‘units’ with related sounds that you can all drop at once into the pool.

Thanks for pointing to this.
Yes, it seems that there are pool libraries ( project(file) related) and not pool libraries