"audio" folder and "renderings folder"

Is there a way to disable the creation of these folders? Thanks!

For rendering, you can always choose where you want to render.
For audio files that you choose to copy inside the montage folder, these are put inside a sub-folder called ā€œaudioā€. If you donā€™t want that, copy the files where you like and donā€™t rely on the import procedure of WaveLab.

I think a lot of users are getting confused by this new thing and not liking it. See attached.

I somehow found a way to disable it and have it never come back, which I prefer.

2 Likes

If we pull a Wav file that weā€™ve recorded from the File Browser into the montage, the ā€œaudioā€ sub-folder is automatically created, and that file we just grabbed appears there. Is that just a pointer to the original recorded file, or is the file being copied to the sub-folder every time? Thanks, Larry

I believe the reason is that it is not well understood. It is useful when you want to render within the montage or project folder. In that case, you only need to specify a relative folder, and the rendering will always occur in the expected location. This eliminates the possibility of errors. Additionally, this setting is saved with the render presets.

If you do not wish to render inside a montage or project folder, then avoid using this option. Otherwise, it offers an advantage.

Nothing can be ā€œrecorded from the File Browserā€. What do you mean?

I am a long time ā€˜Projectā€™ user (pretty much from its inception) and I really do like the current round of enhancements in WL12.

But Ithink I might be in the camp of not understanding the contextual folder concept well.

I have continued with my practice of having a ā€˜templateā€™ for every project that comes in. Itā€™s simply renamed from templateā€™ to ā€˜artist project nameā€™. As is the WL 12 Project template within it.

That template always has a sub-folder called ā€˜Postā€™ where all the initial renders at 32f 96 kHz are made to.

So are you saying that I can set the contextual dialogue to always point to a session sub folder ā€˜Postā€™ in a Project? Because that would save a few key stokes and avoid troubling electrons unnecessarily.

Yes, this feature is exactly for this. And again, this option is saved as part of each Render preset.

1 Like

Thank you PG

That looks very handy.

Thatā€™s good to know. My comment was related to some users not knowing how to permanently turn it off like I have somehow done.

Turn it Off (right-click on it, or click the small arrow) once, and this will be remembered for the file type (audio file or montage).

1 Like

Hi! I didnā€™t say I was recording from the file browser. lol
I said I was pulling the already captured (recorded) file from the file browser down (click and drag) into the audio montage window to edit. When we do that, a sub-folder ā€œaudioā€ is automatically created, and it now contains what looks like the same file inside. Iā€™m asking if that new file in the ā€œaudioā€ folder is actually a copy of the original file, or is it just a pointer to the original file? Better yet, is there a way to disable the creation of the folder.? Thanks very much! Larry

When you do so, you get this dialog, that gives you the choice. If you donā€™t get this dialog, this means you have chosen in the past to bypass it. This choice can be reverted in the preferences.

Thanks very much. I will pass this on to Fred, and/or change the preference myself when time permits. Thanks again! Larry