Audio Interface Connections - best one today ?

My current interface, MOTU 896HD, utilizes a FireWire connection to the computer. I am thinking of making a change and question which method is thought to be the better way to go i.e. : FireWire 400 / 800 , PCIe, etc. ?

The MOTU is working fine but is about 8 years old now and the best latency I can squeeze out of it is around 6 ms with my current computer, chipset and mobo . Additionally, there are improvements in several other interfaces.

there is no right answer it depends on the interface manufacturer
while PCIe would be the lowest latency the difference from a PCIe and a GOOD Firewire/USB is only .75ms
PCIe tends to be expensive and require converters.

RME regardless of connection is the best.
Motu, Steingberg,Lynx (with USB card) are not far behind.

Scott, thanks for the information . Did a little reading on RME UCX and looks like a great interface. The UFX Would be overkill for me as a few inputs is really all I ever use. Thanks for taking the time ! Al

Hi, I’ve just installed an RME HDSP 9632 card and have noticed no difference whatsoever in my sound quality from the focusrite pro 24 that I was using, I wish I had not spent the money, I might even re install the pro 24…

the moral of the story for me is maybe you don’t need an expensive interface…Kevin

[quote=“JCschild”]there is no right answer it depends on the interface manufacturer
while PCIe would be the lowest latency the difference from a PCIe and a GOOD Firewire/USB is only .75ms …
quote]

What interfaces work with latency at .75milliseconds? :ugeek:

None. Read again, what he wrote.