Audio Interface for Home Studio

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie here! I started electronic music production a couple of months ago using Logic Pro X as my main DAW. After encouraging results, I have decided to invest in a home studio, and the help of experts would be greatly appreciated.

I use a 13-inch Macbook Pro I bought in August 2014 with the following specs: 2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5; Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz 8GB 1600MHz memory; 512GB PCIe-based flash storage.

I purchased a Roland TR-8 Drum machine in November (for Live mix as well as production) and I would like to invest in some gear:

• Novation Impulse 49 keyboard
  • A pair of KRK RP5 monitors
  • An audio interface

As I am pretty new in that world, I do not know what interface to buy to be able to connect both my keyboard and my TR-8 to my Macbook Pro + my monitors.

So far, I have selected three potential candidates based on positive feedback and given my tight budget (around 300$/500$ tops).

• Focusrite Scarlett 6i6
  • Focusrite Saffire Pro 24
  • Steinberg UR44
  • Motu Audio Express

Can anyone recommend me one of these interfaces based on his/her personal experience?

Regards

Tanzverbot

I was using a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 for a long time and it worked great. Audio quality was good and Focusrite Saffire hardware and software was pretty playful with others. I have since upgraded to a UA Apollo which is outstanding for my use. But a Saffire is a good choice in my opinion. And that may just be my opinion but I have some experience there.
Piz

I don’t have personal experience with any of these myself, but I’m sure either one would serve you well. They’re all well known product manufacturers you can trust.

I think it boils down to what features, inputs/outputs you need. I didn’t observe detailed specs on these, but ask yourself, if they each have phantom power for condenser mics, built in mic pre’s, special Hi-Z guita inputs etc. It looks like they each have standard midi I/O, but the Steinberg unit is the only one that I didn’t see s/pdif coaxial I/O on it, which you may or may not need now…will you down the road?

Now, which one’s have better latency, or more reliable drivers, better converters? This I don’t know, but I’d have to guess very acceptable on all.

Don’t eliminate the products by PreSonus from your choices. Of course this is all opinion but, they do offer interfaces for those on a budget or not. Also, interfaces that offer connectivity by USB or firewire if that is your thang. I’ve had very good luck with them for years and never had a problem. Have fun choosing. :wink:

Regards :sunglasses:

Thanks a lot for your replies. I think all four models are well built and reliable.

I was just wondering which one I could use with my Keyboard + my Drum Machine (Roland TR-8) as I do not know if I can link all my devices to one single interface which I then could control in my DAW.

I’ve read a couple of topics covering the integration of the Roland TR-8 with other devices and no there is no clear answer…

Tanzverbot…
Same Tanzverbot that visits (or used to visit really) the SplashDamage forums?

No, I am afraid I am another person! :slight_smile:

Ok, shame :wink:.
Good luck with your new home studio anyway!