Audio is now only Cubase-Specific?

Hi again @FreshSoggy,

thanks (and you’re welcome)! This is what I wanted to find out with your help: your AMD B450 mainboard uses the integrated Realtek ALC892 codec.

This is what the specs sheet within the PDF manual of your AMD Tomahawk mainboard says:

This one may be good enough for basic gaming, for multimedia / podcasting or to use Skype, etc. But there’s not enough electronics bandwith under the hood to sufficiently work with Cubase. You’ll always meet some of the limits of such an integrated audio chipset.

This is why I’d highly recommend you to spend another USD 100+ for at least a two-by-two channel USB audio interface, e.g. from manufacturers like Yamaha / Steinberg, Focusrite, Presonus, etc. You could also use a Zoom H5 or Tascam DR-40X field recorder, since those can also be used as a 2-CH audio interface (via USB, they use an ASIO driver, and have reasonably good microphones). These devices come with more routing options (and often a loopback / monitoring switch), plus they have much better audio quality than your Realtek integrated audio and they come with real ASIO drivers.

Or even better and with even lower latency: something like the ESI Maya44 eX, which is a professional grade PCIe audio card. There’s a lot of devices on the market, so any choice to be made may not be too easy. At least now we know that your integrated audio gives you limited audio capabilities - in terms of working consistently with Cubase.

Also: don’t worry! Many of us try to assist each other as much as we can, and there’s no shame in not knowing “everything”.

Best wishes,
Markus

1 Like

Okay, so the recommendation is to purchase some sort of “mixing table” or something? I don’t know a million things about music production so I don’t exactly know what a two-by-two channel interface is. What’s your best average priced suggestion that I should get?

@FreshSoggy,

a 2-channel USB audio interface would do. Stereo IN, Stereo OUT, and ASIO. No need to get a complex mixing device.

The (pro) audio quality and direct hardware access via ASIO are the essential criteria to buy a dedicated audio device in connection with Cubase.

There’s a large spectrum of products, from “cheapo” interfaces by Behringer (they do work, but I’m not using them) up to more expensive audio interfaces by MOTU or RME.

Perhaps just make a start by taking a closer look at the websites of Sweetwater Audio or Thomann, or any other larger online music store. Read reviews, compare features and prices, then decide. You’ll also find lots of good product tutorials and hardware reviews / comparisons on Youtube.

Just as an example (I’m not affiliated with any manufacturer or sales company), very helpful to make an informed decision about buying “my first dedicated audio interface”:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c695--2_x_2_USB_Audio_Interfaces

Studio and Recording Equipment – Thomann UK

Cheers,
M

Okay, I think that’s all the help I’ll need. Thank you so much for helping me out with this. Regardless of the outcome that was expected, means a ton that you took the time to help. Have a good one. I’ll mark this as solved

1 Like

@FreshSoggy,

you’re welcome.
Glad that you did try to keep up with all my questions and detail.

Not everyone likes my “fundamental approach”, some seem to expect “the fastest solution in one short sentence”. Which may not always be the best thing, in terms of learning and understanding new things a bit better than before.

Best wishes and see you around,
Markus

2 Likes