Audio-Montage and crossfade in and out beetween two stereo files

In the audio-montage (several microphone positions at the same event), I miss the intuitive, simple way of setting markers across tracks to temporarily replace a selected area with another microphone position if someone had bumped into the one microphone stand. Before and after this, it would be helpful to fade in and out to the the replacement. What is the current approach? Couldn’t something be improved? Can’t I find the right operation?

How do you make one track sound in the montage, then the other and crossfade so that the crossfade areas are synchronized? Once the tracks have been aligned, the positions must not change (e.g. accidentally).

My solution so far (without Audio-montage): Two exactly synchronized identical audio files. Place marker in one, copy into the other. There is an insert or cross-fade.

So… insertion via cross-fade… wonderful… but no choice as to whether the insert should be louder or quieter (fade in or fade out). Ah… probably just louder (fading in the audio to be inserted)… So I have to copy and paste from the fixed file into the fade in chunk and then go to the fade out position, copy the audio into the fixed file and fade out and now copy what I just blended into the broken file. Then I have to copy the fixed replacement between the end of the fade-in and the beginning of the fade-out into the defective file.
Really ??? What is the WaveLab developers’ intended workflow for this problem? …So, it worked. You can still hear a little bit. But those were pull-ups…

I wanted to set four points (start fade-in, end fade-in, constant for start fade-out, end fade-out), select the microphone position from which the fix audio should be picked up, and something like a slider like if you use a mixing-environment. (A level adjustment option for the signal that has to be replaced would also be helpful at this point. Maybe with assistance-hints as if the loudness-level from … some seconds before is matched with the “to be fixed” file).

Your case is difficult to understand by reading. Maybe some commented screenshots would help.

Thank you for the quick response!

Here are screenshots for the situation. The first two screenshots are the “problem”. The third is the result without using Audio-Montage.

If you record on different positions, you would once adjust the positions and than easily blend from one microphone-position to another, when needed, depending on markers. In my way I had to prepare the files by myself or I miss something.

… only one media for me … OK … here you go:

and:
Fade-Replacement_01

to:

Still not sure about your case, but the audio montage has all the needed options to cross-fade audio regions, using lanes, tracks, envelopes, etc…

using the montage would be much easier for what you want to do, and be non destructive leaving your original audio intact

many different ways to accomplish what you need, you could have your other mic audio muted on a different track or lane, and cut and move the bits you need it into place, or just unmute the section you need and fade in one and out the other in situ,
or if they aren’t in the montage you could “replace audio file” for just that section in the green markers and stretch it out to the yellows and adjust the fades by pressing on the fade line if you don’t like how they are and pick a different one,
plus volume adjusts are easy in the montage

I believe what you want to do is referred to as “four point editing” which is not something you can currently do in WL.

From the WWW:
A 3-point edit is a time selection in the source project pasted into the destination project at the cursor point. A 4-point edit is a time selection in the source pasted into a time selection, replacing that area in the destination .

SEE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh-j3jblSfQ&ab_channel=TimDolbear

I think I understand what AB_01 is asking, and if so two tracks or two lanes in a montage should do the trick, something like this?

3 Likes

thats one of the ways for sure :ok_hand:

Thank you for your answers!

Yes, I hoped for something like:

First:

Select the two lanes for the interaction.

Second:

Give only 6 informations: the start point oft he fade in, the point oft he end oft the fade in, the start oft he fade out, the end oft he fade out and the amount oft he fading and the kind oft he fade (eg. sinusoid). The rest would do the computer / software for me in a better way as I would do it with many more clicks in the montage.

Best wishes …