Audio not in sync with its video

Hello,

Recently I have been having this issue where if I import a video into Cubase Pro 9.5, the audio of that video will be out of sync. The audio will be ahead by about 5 seconds and will be missing the first few seconds of the audio. Furthermore, if I open a video on Windows’ default video player…the same thing happens, and if I use QuickTime to watch a video, the audio is somehow in sync perfectly fine…so I’m wondering if it’s a windows problem and not Cubase but I figured I would ask here anyway.

Just to note: I have windows 10, and have imported videos to Cubase and haven’t seen this problem until recently. Thank you.

Hi,

What video codec do you use, please? Where was the video rendered (which application)? What is the frame rate? What is the Sample Rate of the sound in the video, and what is the Sample Rate of your project and your Audio Device? Are all of these in sync?

I have the same problem. Import an MP4 the audio is a frame shorter. Import the same video into Vegas Pro no problem. The video audio is out of sync with the files bought in via OMF and creates flanging. I want the video audio as a reference. Video is coming from a Premiere project. All sample rates are 48khz. Running Nuendo 8.3

Hi,

Could you please relay all questions I asked above?

Could you share a short video example, please?

I have this exact same issue and have done I think since cubase 9.5, before then no problems with it.

For me the audio is offset by a random amount but always I need to move the audio later against the picture, and just as ahalm093 says, whatever the audio needs to be moved by will then have lost the first section.

Strangely, as the audio file is the same length as the video file, although the front end gets cut off, the tail end last longer than the video and has the correct information as if the video were to keep going. This makes me think that it is indeed something off with the rendering?

I write to picture, and use Quicktime to edit out sections of larger videos to work on in smaller projects. Perhaps it’s this process that causes this effect? Just a thought.

@benjamintalbott , what video codec are you using?
It sounds like you are using h264 (AVC), is it correct?

Yes they are, do you think that’s part of the issue?

No, it’s not part of the issue, it is the issue!
And it’s not exclusive to Steinberg’s software, it is a problem with h264 in general. Never trust h264 with A/V synchronization, or video that ever was h264 before its current form.

How bizarre, I’ll have to remember this for the future, very illuminating thanks! Guess I’ll have to put some money into a decent piece of conversion software. Do you have any advice on which codecs are the most stable for cubase?

1 Like

Hi @benjamintalbott ,
I happened to do an extensive study on the subject and I wrote a complex algorithm that fixes h264 audio-video offsets and in most cases brings it into perfect sync and on rare occasions, it only gets as close as less than 1ms (~40 samples).
The only place you can find this in action is in my ER Media ToolKit Pro bundle, give it a try here: