AUDIO OUT OF A FILM???

I see there is an option on Cubase 7 to “extract audio from video.” Does this mean what I think it means? I would like to do some tracks using “one liners” from films but I can’t seem to get this to work. Is there another way of achieving this? Thanks in advance :mrgreen:

Hello Hybrid,

“extract audio from video” means only one thing, which is self-explanatory. When you do it, you get a separate audio track containing whatever sound that comes with the video clip. It is mostly used by film music composers to mute it, change it’s volume against their music, solo it to better hear a certain dialogue, etc.

What you can NOT do is to separate the audio material, e.g. the dialogue from the ambience, and don’t expect that from any DAW any time soon. If you need separate tracks of the sound material, contact your sound editor.

Cheers

That’s great! Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. Makes a bit more sense now. Although what exactly do you mean by “sound editor” it’s just that I have heard songs recently, and they contain very clear, audio clips from movies…

Basically… Where would they get these from?

A sound editor’s job is to add, remove, edit, replace, etc. any sort of sound including but not limited to dialogue, ambience, foley, and the like from/to a video clip, being a short one or a full movie.

I was under the impression that you were a film music composer, so I suggested you contact your sound editor.

Where do they get those sounds? Well, it’s their area of expertise. there are many sound libraries, but most professionals design their own sounds. And that’s just the beginning of a whole different story. :wink:

No I’m certainly not that lol. It just puzzles me how they get crystal clear vocals into a song that come from a film. Sure you can record them into a beat from the film but to get rid of all the background noise just puzzles me… Oh I know about the VSTi side of things. Between Ableton and Cubase I must have 100Gb worth of instruments and sounds lol.

Maybe I could just ask Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp to come over so I can record their dialogue :wink:

By “sound libraries” I meant sound FX libraries, not VSTi’s, albeit they might use them as well from time to time (things like drones, whooshes, etc. that helps them with their sound design–mostly non-musical sounds).

That’s exactly what sound editors in Hollywood do. Seriously.
Sometimes a dialogue is not recorded well, or mixed with background noise, or simply needs to be changed because the actor or the director is not happy with it. So the actor/actress shows up in the studio to replace that certain dialogue. It happens all the time.

If you’re interested to know more about sound editing and its different branches (foley artists, ADR, sound design, recording on set, etc.) there are lots of material out there. Use google.

Good luck.

Great stuff. Thanks for your info. I’ll take up impressions for the time being lol :mrgreen: