Audio output similar to system output possible?

Hi, what is the status of this feature request? It is annoying and surprisingly time consuming to fix as someone stated earlier in the thread.

I’m running MacBook Pro 2020, Ventura 13.5.

Welcome to the forum, @PeteCT. The version of the CoreAudio2ASIO component that ships with Dorico 5 automatically switches between the built-in output and the headphones output, but it doesn’t track the active output device as set in the Sound pane of System Settings (née Preferences).

Is there any chance that dorico will be able to (optionally) track the actual active output device in the sound panel like Logic for example does, in the near future? Also when I plug in a new device while have Dorico running I can’t switch to it because Dorico doesn’t find it. Even worth is that, then, an error occurs with the driver and I have to restart the computer in order to set the output in Dorico.

I have different devices at different places and have to change the devise in different places and I have to set it new almost every time I start dorico, which is very time consuming. At least a hot key to open the audio device setup panel would help.

I just found the key command for the device set up - I was searching for Audio before …
Thanks
Frank

Hi @dspreadbury, thank you so much for the reply. What is the intended behavior when plugging or unplugging headphones while the Dorico application is open?

I find that Dorico doesn’t recognize my headphones with any predictability. I’ve opened Dorico without headphones, then plugged them in. I’ve plugged them in, then opened Dorico. I’ve opened Dorico and plugged and unplugged them multiple times. I’ve tried all of the above and have completely failed to get Dorico to see the headphones.

…but sometimes it randomly works.

It’s incredibly frustrating!

Pete

My experience (as I’ve stated elsewhere on the forum), on a 2018 MacBook Pro running Dorico 3.5–4.0 under Mojave 10.14, is: On startup, Dorico always uses the output it was using when I last quit. If I plug or unplug a headphone while it’s running, Dorico switches to the correct output. But it does not recognize automatic changes to the output that occurred while it wasn’t running.

So if I don’t hear anything, all I need to do is unplug and re-plug the headphones to reset it. This is not as convenient as it could be, but on the other hand not bad enough for me to complain.

I just did a whole cycle of tests with my 2017 iMac with Ventura and there everything works as expected. I start up with with phones unplugged and Dorico plays out to the speakers, plug in the phones, output comes through the phones. Unplug the phones, sound comes from the speakers. Stop Dorico and plug in the phones, restart Dorico and the sound comes through the phones. Stop Dorico and unplug phones, restart Dorico and sound comes out of the speakers.
So everything is how I expect it on my iMac.

@PeteCT , I don’t know if I can help, but if you like, we could have a remote screen sharing session.

1 Like

But what happens if I quit Dorico while the headphones are plugged in and then restart it without headphones plugged in. Then nothing comes through the speakers. This happens to me all the time…

In that case on my iMac sound does come through the speakers.

Interesting, I always have to go the the device setup and tag speakers as it appears untagged.

I don’t know why it is like that with you, but please check the sample rate within Dorico.app and within AudioMIDISetup.app. Is it same?

That’s what happens after quitting dorico with headphones in, then unplugging the headphones and restart dorico:

Hi @gratkowski , what if you untick that option Automatically Configure Devices?

same result, Interesting is that the sample rate for the macbookPro speaker is 4800 and for the headphones 44100.

Actually by trying again the same rate is for both outputs 44100 but still the same result.

Under macOS, you could use “Multi-Output Device”. It is very convenient.
With it, you do not need relaunch Dorico after connecting/disconnection audio interfaces. You need just select correct one in “Multi-Output Device”.
I checked all I use!

2 Likes

On Monday I will take my M1 Mac Mini and also do some more tests. Let’s see what i can find out…

This doesn’t do the job because the MacBook Pro speakers would sound in the train while I would use my headphones😉

The problem is the internal speaker. When I unplug the headphone and start Dorcio it’s trying to find the headphone panel which is then gone. So Dorico doesn’t check on startup if headphones are connected or not.

Actually, Dorico or Dorico’s audio engine does not know about built-in speakers or headphones. We have a mediating component called CA2ASIO which hides that away. But that component shall know and re-route accordingly if the Automatically Configure Device option is ticked in the control panel.

We can get debug output from CA2ASIO but need to enable it first.
Please follow the instructions:

• First make sure that Automatically Configure Device is enabled.
  • Stop Dorico
  • Open a Terminal window (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app)
  • and in there copy and paste the following 2 commands:

defaults write com.steinberg.components.coreaudio2asio "Debug Level" -int 3

defaults write com.steinberg.components.coreaudio2asio "Debug File" -string /Users/[yourname]/Desktop/CA2ASIOdebugout.txt

(pease exchange above the [yourname] with your username on that computer)

• Then start Dorico and plug-in and plug-out your headphones several times, leave a few seconds in between each plugging.
  • When you then stop Dorico, have a look at your Desktop for the CA2ASIOdebugout.txt and send me that text file. In order to upload it here you probably need to zip it first.
  • And, because that logging is quite performance hungry, switch the logging off again by doing

defaults write com.steinberg.components.coreaudio2asio "Debug Level" -int 0

I hope it is not too complicated. Please let me know in case of any question. Thank you very much.

1 Like