Audio output similar to system output possible?

Is it somehow possible to tell dorico to use the system output on a mac by default? Every time I use my headphones on the road and start Dorico after pugging the headphones in Dorico is using my internal speakers. I have also similar issues with different audio interfaces. It is really anoing and time consuming to change it in the preferences again and again. Logic and other software has no problem with that. Why is Dorico so complicated in dealing with the audio driver?

If you go to Edit > Device Setup and then press the Device Control Panel button, the CoreAudio Device Settings window does pop up. In there, is the option ‘Automatically Configure Devices’ ticked with you?

yes it is

it is switching while it’s open and I plug/unplug the headphones but not when Dorico is not running while I plug in my headphones.

I think Dorico should be able to read the system output and setting it’s output to it on startup…

Well, on my 2017 iMac Dorico behaves the way you want.
E.g., Dorico plays out via speakers, quit Dorico, plug in headphones, start Dorico again and it plays out via headphones.

It definitely doesn’t do it on my computer 16 inch mac book pro 2019 with OS-X 11.3 (Big Sur). I tried untagging it, closed it, tagged it again, no change…

I tried it over and over, than Dorico even froze. It does it even more often when I plug/unplug my external RME interface.
Most annoying is it when I work with Dorico with headphones, close Dorico, unplug the headphones and then reopen Dorico (which could be even after having the computer on sleep for hours). Then there will be no sound at all, because the external speakers stay untagged in the device control panel window.

After the Dorico restart after it got frozen, Dorico will not play any sound although everything in the device control panel is tagged right. I have then to restart the computer.

I will soon get an M1 macMini soon and revisit the case. A little patience please.

I can reproduce the same problem : did you find a solution ? (I’m using a MacBook Pro 2019)

Right, sorry, I forgot about this one. Yes, I have an M1-MacMini now, will try it out now…

Right, I can reproduce that issue now as well. Will try to find out more, stay tuned…

Edit: I need to talk to one engineer who is currently not in. A little patience please. Thanks

An update ?

thanks! I would love to hear an update about it as it is quite annoying to go to the audio preferences every time.

Sorry, no update, yet. It’s the holiday season and I need to wait for that one person to return

Thank you for your patience, now I could have reconfirmation with the engineer. The conclusion is, the switching between headphones and speakers does work when Dorico is running, but not anymore when Dorico is not running and a switch is taking place. Because Dorico - on shutdown - always remembers the last audio configuration and tries to reconstruct that on the next startup. So this is the issue that you are experiencing.
That what you want is not a bug but a feature request. We put it into our backlog, so hopefully one day we will be able to address it. Probably not the answer that you would like to hear, sorry, but that is the situation. We hope for your understanding.

Thanks for the info. It would be great if Dorico could automatically use the system setting as an option in the future.

Is that OK now with Dorico 4 ?

So far as I know, this has not yet been implemented but remains on the backlog for future implementation.