Audio Parts, Events & Regions : simple breakdown?

Hi,

I am having some difficulties grasping the concept between Audio Parts, Events & Regions

I just read through the Steinberg Help database but not everything was clear for me (mind you, we have a newborn at home, my cognitive functions might be a bit impaired)

Events I quite get, it is every bit you record or import

Parts contain events, ok, but why would I want that, what is the difference and advantage of a part vs several events on a track?

Now what about regions (closely worded to what in my book amounts to locator range or arranging section)?

About the most important parts for me, no pun intended, is being able to know how to deal with events in such a way that I can either choose to copy them as ghosts in the project page and when I change one of them, all of them change as well.

Or how to process only one event without its copies also being processed.

What are the advantages/limitations of each of the audio Events, Parts & Region?

If anybody knows further how to differentiate the 3 concepts, and can break it down in an easy way, that would be much appreciated,

Best regards

Nico

Hi,

There is one more: Audio clip. Clip is the representative of the source Audio file in Cubase (Pool). When you move it to the Project window, there itā€™s an Audio event. Which could be shorter, or any process could by applied, etc.

If you for multiple Audio events, you get an Audio Part. This is useful if you have for example a Snare track, which you sliced. Then you get several events on one track. But if you want to handle them as one group, you can make a Post out of them.

Region is just a local ā€œslice/partā€ of the Audio event. So you can apply any plug-in/process to the region only, not the whole event.

Thank you Martin, I understand it a tad better

However for the Region : if I cut an event, letā€™s say a one bar loop in two, do both events become regions then?

Hi,

No. In this case you get two Audio events. Birth of them are using the same source file (clip in Cubase Pool).

The Region you can make in the Sample Editor on the right side.

I have no clear idea what a ā€˜Regionā€™ is either. And Iā€™ve been using Cubase for eighteen years now. Iā€™d love to know why it matters. Iā€™m just writing this to give you some encouragement: not -all- of this terminology is -that- important in order to get going.

However, the term ā€˜Partā€™ -does- matter. An audio Part is just a container where (in the Parts Editor) you assemble (or ā€˜compā€™) audio events together into good takes (Parts).

UNFORTUNATELY there is a horrible terminology problem wrt MIDI and Audio in Cubase: An audio ā€˜Partā€™ is equivalent to a MIDI ā€˜Eventā€™ (which is a collection of MIDI notes, right?) However a MIDI ā€˜Eventā€™ is equivalent to a single -note-.

HTH

Actually not.

Iā€™m the Project window, you should call the ā€œMIDI objectā€ as a MIDI Part too. MIDI Event is generally any MIDI Message written in the MIDI Part, not just MIDI Note, but also Controllers, Pitch Bend, SysExā€¦ All of these are MIDI events in the MIDI Part.

1 Like

As Martin said already - thatĀ“s wrong. The terminology is rather consequent. The MIDI Part is the container for MIDI events. The audio Part is the container for audio events.

1 Like

Regions are areas within an audio that you have marked as being important.

I use regions when Iā€™m wanting to export individual words of vocal takes for use in later projects as vocal samples. From the pool you can export your regions that you have marked to an external folder.

Events - individual data elements such as a MIDI event or an audio event
Parts - containers in the display which contain one or more events
Regions - segments within audio events marked as areas of interest or importance

2 Likes

Now make some music :slight_smile:

Regions are like markers for audio events. They allow you to save a sample accurate range that can be quickly selected, audited or processed. They can also be used to mark areas that might need correction, or to bounce regions of an audio file as separate files without having to split the original audio event and using Render in Place.

Regions are a bit less useful now that we have so many ways to use hitpoints, but they can still be a powerful tool.

3 Likes