Audio recording issue audio same audio appearing on multiple tracks

Greetings,

I’m running Cubase Pro 10.5 and I’m having a heck of a time figuring the routing issue at hand.

Recording grand piano and vox.3 channels.

Lynx Aurora /Lynx AES card.

The vocals are on input 1 and are routed to record on track one

Piano of 2 and 3 going to 2 and 3

Sounds simple no?

The dilemma is the following :

I’ve got vocals on all three channels. The vocals from channel 1 is appearing also on channel 2 and 3 over the top of the piano. It’s recorded right into the piano track.

What should I be looking for in the routing? I simply cannot see what the issue is.

I’m from another generation when we recorded to tape.

What is obvious to some is not obvious to others.

Thanks for your help.

John

Your description is not really precise enough to know that the problem is. Are you recording with three microphones at the same time? What does “appearing also on channel 2 and 3 over the top of the piano” mean? Do you first record the piano, then the vocals and there is a new audio event with just the vocals of it?
How did you configure the audio inputs of the three channels? Do you have record enabled on all of them?

BTW: While a completely different technology, Cubase doesn’t actually stray that far from the old “console/tape” signal flow IMHO. You just have to learn where to make what settings, same as in the olden days :slight_smile: But it can be quite overwhelming at first.

Maybe have a look at the manual or some youtube videos? The official Cubase channel does have some tutorials like this How to Do Your First Recording in Cubase | Q&A with Greg Ondo - YouTube

Three mics
2 ribbons on the piano going to channel 2 and 3

1 ldc mic on vox

All recorded live off the floor to 3 tracks.

It’s a routing issue. But what…

Over the top means that the vocal appears over the piano on track 2 and 3 as well as track 1. On 1 its by itself but on 2 and 3 its combined I to the piano sound.

So if you record everything at once to three tracks and you hear the vocals in the piano tracks (but also the piano), I am pretty sure that the problem is that the vocals are spilling into the piano mics… Ribbon mics are figure eight, so they pick up signal from the front as well as from the back.
I am pretty sure that you will also have some piano in your vocal track, maybe not as loud as the vocal mic is most likely a cardioid.
To me this doesn’t look like a routing problem at all, more like microphone choice and positioning.
Test it: have you tried only recording just one of the ribbon mics, e.g that on channel 3, not the others. If the result is that you hear piano and vocals on it, that would confirm my suspicion.