"Audio Statistics" broken, all of a sudden? (Windows 10)

For unknown reasons I suddenly can’t use Audio > Statistics any longer without sending NU12 into an insecure state. This also happens in an empty new Project with a single audio file in the Pool. All I get is the dreaded error message, no statistics are shown:

---------------------------
A serious problem has occurred: Please try to save your project under another name and then restart Nuendo12.exe. If this problem persists please contact Steinberg Technical Support with a description of what you do to create this problem, and the created file C:/Users/**.dmp.

Click ‘OK’ to be informed about further occurences of serious problems, or ‘Cancel’ to suppress these warnings in case of cascading warnings!
---------------------------

When I close and re-open Nuendo, it points to the crash-dumps folder and suggests to start without 3rd-party plug-ins, which in fact helps.

Can someone @Steinberg please look into these dumps and let me know what plug-in causes the issue?

Nuendo 12.0.70.464 64bit 2024.6.27 18.03.06.915.dmp (2.2 MB)
Nuendo 12.0.70.464 64bit 2024.6.27 17.58.03.595.dmp (2.3 MB)
Nuendo 12.0.70.464 64bit 2024.6.27 17.51.37.264.dmp (3.7 MB)
Nuendo 12.0.70.464 64bit 2024.6.27 17.36.16.395.dmp (3.4 MB)

TIA!

… I should add that this also happens without a single plug-in instantiated anywhere, according to Nuendo’s Plug-in Manager - not even in the Control Room (apart from the unavoidable Mix Converters v6).

Nuendo 12.0.70.464 64bit 2024.6.27 18.34.21.659.dmp (1.3 MB)

Hallo Dietz,

I had the same problem in N12. In N13 the program no longer froze but still refused to give the statistics.
In my case the culprits were:

• Vienna Analyzer Pro
  • Vienna Compressor Pro
  • Vienna Ensemble x64.
    After renaming the vst3-files the problems were over.

Good luck
Karel

Thanks for sharing your findings. What do you mean by “renaming the VST 3 files”?

Change the file extension from
.vst3
to, for example,
.xxxvst3xxx.
Of course, after that, they are harmless but also useless.
So far I did not miss them.
By the way, I reported this to the VSL support people.

Thanks, I am VSL people ;-), and I rely on their plug-ins day in, day out. :slight_smile:

But as I wrote in my second posting: All of this also happens without any plug-in instantiated at all, not even just de-activated ones are part of the Project. I see only empty insert slots, and Nuendo’s Plug-in Manager shows “zero instances”, too, apart from the aforementioned built-in converters.

8-/

1 Like

Most of your crash dumps are surprisingly short.
The third one shows a bit more information.

All of the crashes happen in Nuendo.exe, I cannot see any involvement of a plugin but as I stated most of them hold hardly any information.
These dumps can only be properly analyzed by Steinberg developers, so feel free to open a support ticket.

You said that you started without 3rd party plugins and the problem wnet away. Was it just 3rd party plugins that were disabled or also the user preferences? Because my bet would be on a corrupted file within the preferences.

Thanks for chiming in!

Just the plug-ins.

I have asked the VSL developers to investigate the problem as well. Perhaps they can track down the well-hidden culprit.

BTW - this doesn’t happen under MacOS, just under Windows.

Well, if oyu have the time you can do what @karel_broekhuis mentioned already:
Go to folder C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 while Nuendo is not running and rename the file extension of any VSL plugin file. After that start Nuendo and check whether the problem is gone. If not, try with other plugins. This way you can start to home in on the culprit.