audio stereo file caf (core audio format)

hi

i don’t know how to open in Wavelab r. 8.5 audio stereo file with extension .caf (core audio format)

Can anyone help me ?

thank

Colombo Riccardo

The easiest way is to open the file in Audacity and export as wav. Caf is not a supported file type in Wavelab.

It’s possible to Import/Open Unknown Audio File in Wavelab 9 and Wavelab 8, but you have to know the sample rate, bit depth, etc, and it’s a bit of trial and error, and doesn’t always easily open a caf file correctly, especially in Wavelab 8.

But I wondered, what program or device made the caf file you’re working from? Seems rather unusual to be working with caf files to me.

Quite surprised to have just discovered that Wavelab does not support CAF files - hmm. CAF files are used by a lot of apps, including apps for iPad etc, such as Presonus Capture, which can automatically send the session to a Studio One session, which of course reads CAFs fine. Logic can read CAF - and if Logic can, I’d expect Wavelab to. For a "Swiss Army knife " audio app that’s a missing feature I’d say. I only bought it to do file conversions, noise removals, pre-production editing etc from various source files, and to export to other formats. So there’s a gap in its repertoire. here’s the Wiki entry for it in case anyone’s interested.

The Core Audio Format is a container for storing audio, developed by Apple Inc. It is compatible with Mac OS X 10.4 and higher; Mac OS X 10.3 needs QuickTime 7 to be installed.[1]

Core Audio Format is designed to overcome limitations of older digital audio formats, including AIFF and WAV. Just like the QuickTime .mov container, a .caf container can contain many different audio formats, metadata tracks, and much more data. Like the RF64, it is not limited to a 4 GB file size and a single .caf file can theoretically save hundreds of years of recorded audio due to its use of 64-bit file offsets.[2]

GarageBand, Soundtrack Pro, and Logic Studio use the .caf format for their loop and sound effects library, particularly for surround-sound audio compressed with the Apple Lossless (ALAC) codec.

1 Like