Audio track stops playing for no apparent reason

In cubase 10 pro, I’m working away nicely when the audio track that is my reference stops sounding. in the middle of playback. The playback continues with all other tracks ok, I can see the cursor move over the waveform, but it doesn’t sound. Import the audio (which plays fine in another app) again. All is well at first, then it happens again. Crazy making.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Do you have any volume automation on?

No automation. One thing I haven’t done before is tweaking the tempo so I could record midi events against an audio mix. I don’t think that should be a problem. Anyway, the problem is gone (for now) after a system restart. Bug? I’ll raise it with cubase design support if I see it again.

I have Pro 11 and it has been buggy as hell ever since the windows 2h20 update. I hope they can sort this one out.

1 Like

I have the same problem in a session with Cubase Pro 11.0.41 with audio files. It doesn’t seem to happen with VI’s.

Tracks randomly stop playing. Closing the session and re-opening fixes it for a while, then it happens again. Extremely frustrating. Even the track meters stop.

1 Like

I’ve had this problem a few times - it seems to have occured for me when adjusting the track delay compensation and then all output/playing of audio ceases to work entirely just for that track. Re-opening the session fixes. It’s pretty bad can be a work crippler if you fail to save the project regularly!

Edit: I’m on the latest Cubase 12.0.20

I’ve just encountered this problem for the first time. A sixteen track live recording - wavs recorded on another system and then imported and settings autoadjusted to my project settings (sample rate & bit depth). Started adjusting EQ, assigning busses, adding FX and suddenly one track just stops sounding. wav picture is there but no sound. Been using Cubase since the 90s and not encountered this before.

Same here. All audio tracks stop playing. I just encountered the problem several times during a single session. Very annoying. I didn’t have this problem when working on the same track a few months ago so might be related to a Windows 11 Update. Can you please fix this? I’m on Cubase 12 Pro.

Having the same issue. I just got Nuendo 12 and was setting it up, everything else was playing well. i recorded an audio track, I can see the waves, then I hit play and nothing…in my trouble shooting I discovered that if I point the “Play” tool over the wave, it plays. This says to me that it has to be some minor thing cause I can hear the audio. It’s not fun as I am trying to really dig into Nuendo 12

It’s happened to me many times before in Cubase versions over the years.

Now it JUST happened again (12/19/2023) in Cubase 12 Pro - Version 12.0.70 build 464.

All I did this time was create a group fader for 3 tracks, then NOTHING played from those three tracks - even after I removed the group fader.

Restarting Cubase DID NOT FIX IT!

It also happened on a different single track then after duplicating that track, it played in the DUPLICATE but not the original.

It’s as if Cubase has totally lost its pointers to the audio track(s) on disk. Pretends to play them while NOT playing them.

I’m going to have to abandon my edits and go back a couple of generations to get them to play and re-do my edits!

C’mon guys, Cubase TWELVE and this is STILL HAPPENING?

It may have something to do with the monitoring settings (program settings / VST), and whether the track/s is/are selected.

In some modes (tape?) It happens that the monitoring of selected tracks is automatically disabled. This is at least what I experienced (also depends on the monitoring routing)