Audio Warp or Pitch Correct first!

Greetings. I was curious to find out what people are doing when it comes to audio editing. Are you pitch correcting first then fix the timing with audio warp? Or do you do the opposite? Thanks in advance for responding.

I don’t think it really matters very much. I tend to start with whatever initially needs the most fixing - so it is somewhat dependent on the source material. Also I try to do this sort of manipulation sparingly. Mostly I use Melodyne for this, find a word that sounds off and then adjust pitch, timing & sibilance as needed.

2 Likes

I agree with @raino that I fix the material that needs the most first. I find it to be a personal preference though, I am way better at working out the timing than pitching manually. so I will make sure I am confident I can pitch correct the material properly before I start working on the warp, then when I have the “correct” warping I make the pitches perfect (as naturally as possible)

1 Like

I find that the timing of vocals has much more impact on the emotions they convey, so I try to get that sorted first. Sometimes I can audiowarp things in a way that works, and sometimes I need to have the vocalist redo certain things. That’s why I save pitch correction for last, so I don’t waste time pitch correcting stuff that ends up having to be redone.

2 Likes

Good point. What works great for one person might be a pain for someone else. Probably the best approach is to try both ways for awhile to discover what works best for you. But I don’t think there is a compelling technical reason to do one before the other.

1 Like

On monophonic material my workflow is typically as follows:

1. Throw on the real time pitch correction plugin so my ears stop hurting while I perform the next step . :slight_smile:
  2. Correct timing using Audio Warp
  3. Disable real-time pitch correction and apply VariAudio edits.

With polyphonic tracks, I tend to use Melodyne:

1. (optional) If the track lends itself to bulk correction of timing, I do that with Audio Warp
  2. Using Meldoyne, (optional) perform bulk pitch correction
  3. In Melodyne, perform detailed pitch and/or timing correction on a note by note basis
1 Like