Audiowarp question

I’ve been looking at the audiowarp function and can see how I would be able to adjust the tempo of an audio file to a new tempo as defined in the metronome by using ‘musical mode’.

I can also see that using free warp I can pull the wave train one way or the other so that all the transients are moved together along the time line.

However is there any way that I can move a single wave form independently. So for example if I have a bass line and just one note is a fraction early (but the rest of them are fine), can I just nudge the transient along a little to where i think it should be (leaving the rest of them where they are)? and if that’s possible is that done in audiowarp?

(I’ve been looking at the manual - not sure if this is relevant - but it tells me things like ‘snap to zero crossings’ without explaining what a zero crossing is.)

For single notes it is better to use VariAudio. Very useful for timing adjustments, not just pitch!

thanks, but I can’t say I can see how to do anything in timing in variaudio.

In the wave editor, instead of clicking on the variaudio ‘pitch and warp’ function, click on the ‘segments’ function. Now you can cut, lengthen, shorten etc. the wave segments.

thanks yes - I tried this before following your first post

variaudio -segments gives me some sort of midi-looking segmented representation of the wave form. I can see that I can shorten or lengthen those but that makes no difference to what actually plays back (or to the wave in the background…as far as i can see…)

For tidying up timings of one or two notes in a piece of audio, you could use either audio warping, or Variaudio pitch and warp

For audio warping just one note, you need to lock the notes on either side. In the sample editor, first create warp markers for the start of the note you want to edit and also the start of the note before and after. For staccato material you will need markers for the ends of the notes too. Either use Free Warp and just add in the markers you need, or create Hitpoints then create warp markers from them. Once you have additional markers either side of the marker you want to warp, the rest of the audio will stay locked in it’s original position.

I find if just editing one or 2 notes creating a few markers in free warp is quicker, if tidying up a whole section, creating markers from Hitpoints is quicker, although you may find that too many hitpoints are created no matter how set the hitpoint threshold. Once in Audio warp, just remove any warp markers you don’t need by Alt+clicking at the top of the warp tab. If you have a lot of notes to do, then you can also use the “quantize using warp markers” function, quantising will then use your markers and behave just as if you were working with midi.

Variaudio is often a bit more straightforward for this. First, make sure your audio is properly segmented - use the segments tab, then drag the starts and end of the individual segments so they accurately follow your audio. Variaudio often lumps several notes together into one segment, especially if they are legato. if you hold down the Alt key in segments mode and hover over a segment, you will get a pair of scissors to chop that segment into pieces that correspond to each note.

Once your segmentation matches the notes you hear (the waveform display in the background helps too, leave segments mode and enter pitch and warp mode (You can toggle between Segments and P+W mode using the Tab key). By hovering over the start or end of a segment, drag arrows will appear and you can now click and drag it around. You will see the segments move across the grid and also the waveform graphic will move to reflect your changes. Using the warp feature of Variaudio in this way, the only thing that moves is the start or end of the segment you are dragging, everything else stays still. great for tidying up vocal timings etc.