Authorize Steinberg Activation Manager

Are you logged into your computer as “admin”? We have had many issues in the past when people were not installing dorico at the root level of the machine.

I clicked it and pressed “Open”.

Yes, I am logged into my computer as “admin”.
Yes, I’ve tried restarting and resetting cookies.

Can you try changing your default browser to Edge (just temporarily) and seeing whether it works there? Just to determine whether it is browser-specific.

Peter is reporting to me that the Steinberg activation manager will not launch for him, even if he clicks on the program separately. (New user/limited posts)

Same behaviour in Edge and IE.

Is it that SAM doesn’t run at all, or that it runs but seems to hang?

For Peter it’s the SAM

Milos, the other thing worth checking is whether the protocol handler itself is set up in the registry. If you run regedit you should have a registry key that looks like this:

Where the actual command is "C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Activation Manager\SteinbergActivationManager.exe" --redirect "%1"

1 Like

Same problem here. To solve the problem I have to finish SAM in Task Manager or restart my computer.

I would suggest Peter reinstalls SAM from here Steinberg Activation Manager | Steinberg

Ah, sorry Milos, I didn’t realise SAM wouldn’t run for you even if you started it manually.

One thing worth checking - if you find that you need to kill SAM in Task Manager then you may also need to kill another process called “Steinberg License Engine” at the same time. That may make a difference.

Yes, it looks similar on my computer.

I cannot see the process SLE in Task Manager. (There are three occurrences of SAM, probably because I’ve tried in Chrome, Edge and IE.

Could you zip up your %appdata%\Steinberg\Activation Manager directory and post it here?

Activation Manager.zip (672 Bytes)

Hmm… It doesn’t seem to have written any Logs at all, which is surprising.

First, could you try uninstalling “Steinberg Activation Manager” (from Apps & Features in Settings) and reinstalling using the link I posted earlier.

Second, do you have multiple user accounts on this machine? Are you running SAM with the same user account as the one you used to install it, or a different account? What are the user directory names in C:\Users?

That’s it! There were three more strange accounts in C:/Users.

I deleted those strange three user folders and everything works as expected.
Many thanks, Richard

Great, glad to hear it works!

I went into my browser and allowed everything
( pop ups etc… ) for the Steinberg site and activation manager could finally talk to Dorico on my pic